Alissa Chapman

Default Repeating labels

I have seen the threads on the subject of repeating labels, but G Mayor's
website didn't help my situation. I am using a text box for my shipping
address mail merge section so that it will hopefully fix my problem of the
margins moving up per label. However, I get the repeating label 8 to a page.
I understand that the next record should be with the merge codes but when
I put it in the text box, I get an error message. I can't seem to put it
anywhere else. I need your advice.
Graham Mayor

You are going to have problems if you try to use text boxes for this as text
boxes are in the drawing layer and thus the merge doesn't see them. Which of
my web pages are you referring to? The one that addresses your problems is
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm . In what way does
this not address your requirements?

Alissa Chapman wrote:
I have seen the threads on the subject of repeating labels, but G
Mayor's website didn't help my situation. I am using a text box for
my shipping address mail merge section so that it will hopefully fix
my problem of the margins moving up per label. However, I get the
repeating label 8 to a page. I understand that the next record
should be with the merge codes but when I put it in the text box, I
get an error message. I can't seem to put it anywhere else. I need
your advice.

Alissa Chapman

Yes, the one below is the one I was refering to. I'll be honest and am not
up to speed on the lingo (SQL, DDE) as cited on your website. All I want to
do is print addresses from a mail merge onto pre-printed labels. I want the
addresses to be on same margin from the top and left of each label without a
lot of hassle. As much time as I have spent reading the threads and trying
to find it, I could have typed out my labels by now on the typewriter.
Finding the response you just gave me below is not easy in the resources I
have.

I don't want to have to use macros (I used macros in WP but that was eons
ago) or codes (end sub, MergeBar, etc.) . I just want the simplest answer I
can get for something that shouldn't be that hard. I appreciate your
feedback.

Alissa Chapman wrote:
I have seen the threads on the subject of repeating labels, but G
Mayor's website didn't help my situation. I am using a text box for
my shipping address mail merge section so that it will hopefully fix
my problem of the margins moving up per label. However, I get the
repeating label 8 to a page. I understand that the next record
should be with the merge codes but when I put it in the text box, I
get an error message. I can't seem to put it anywhere else. I need
your advice.

Peter Jamieson

Going back to the conversation with Doug Robbins, I think the solution he
suggested should have worked, i.e. altering the paragraph layout. In that
case, assuming you don't need the text boxes for some other reason, why
don't we get rid of them and try to work out how to make the paragraph
suggestion work?

So...
My approach to this would be to insert the text/fields I wanted in the first
cell, adjust the paragraph properties, then use Propagate labels (if it's
available in your version of Word) to copy that entry to all the other
labels. Then I would try to preview the labels to check the formatting.

Now your experience was that the first row was OK and the others weren't, so
maybe the proppaate didn't work (you're not using a Tablet PC by any
chance?), or are you copying the label some other way? Either way, if you
manually repeat the formatting you applied in the first cell to all the
other labels - a bit tedious maybe but not too onerous I hope if there are
only 8 labels. Once you've done that, previewed, maybe tested some pages,
you can save the document and re-use it if you are going to use the same
layout again.

Does that help?

If there's a vertical spacing problem, some people find that unchecking
Tools|Options|Print|"Allow A4/Letter paper resizing" helps.

Peter Jamieson

Alissa Chapman wrote:
I have seen the threads on the subject of repeating labels, but G
Mayor's website didn't help my situation. I am using a text box for
my shipping address mail merge section so that it will hopefully fix
my problem of the margins moving up per label. However, I get the
repeating label 8 to a page. I understand that the next record
should be with the merge codes but when I put it in the text box, I
get an error message. I can't seem to put it anywhere else. I need
your advice.

Graham Mayor

I get the picture - if you'll pardon the pun.

Where is the pre-printed part of the label?

If at the top, set the table cell alignment to top and format the first row
paragraph with a suitably large space before (or apply a paragraph style
with the space before option set), before you propagate the labels.

If it is to the left or right set appropriate indents to all the paragraphs
used on the label.

Alternatively you could use a text box, not to contain the fields, but to
fill the space that the pre-printed section would occupy and use wrap to
move the fields out of the way. This is far more fiddly to achieve but see
http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm (here the 'graphic' would be a
borderless text box).

Alissa Chapman wrote:
I have seen the threads on the subject of repeating labels, but G
Mayor's website didn't help my situation. I am using a text box for
my shipping address mail merge section so that it will hopefully fix
my problem of the margins moving up per label. However, I get the
repeating label 8 to a page. I understand that the next record
should be with the merge codes but when I put it in the text box, I
get an error message. I can't seem to put it anywhere else. I need
your advice.

print labels only john Microsoft Word Help 2 December 16th 04 07:56 AM
Change labels to envelopes Jugglertwo Microsoft Word Help 1 December 6th 04 06:24 PM
Mailing Labels - Outlook to Word? Charliec Mailmerge 2 December 5th 04 05:46 PM
Labels Jeana Microsoft Word Help 2 December 2nd 04 11:03 PM
preview of labels in Word do not show outline of labels anymore makingfaces Microsoft Word Help 2 December 1st 04 01:32 PM