Bob Carlton

Default Mail Merge Field Problem

The number of merge fields seems to vary. I need five merge fields, and
sometimes only 3 are available. If I go to a different excel document to
import, there may or may not be five fields available. How do I set word so
that I have more merge fields available all the time.
--
bob carlton
Peter Jamieson

Word just goes on the merge fields in the data source, which may vary as you
have noticed. But it isn't clear why you need Word always to find 5 - what
is it about your use of merge that requires it? If you need 5 fields it
sounds as if you might be trying to merge from sources that are not suitable
for your needs.

Peter Jamieson

Peter Jamieson
"Bob Carlton" wrote in message
The number of merge fields seems to vary. I need five merge fields, and
sometimes only 3 are available. If I go to a different excel document to
import, there may or may not be five fields available. How do I set word
so
that I have more merge fields available all the time.
--
bob carlton

Bob Carlton

I have five columns in my Excel spreadsheet. Business name, owner, P.O. Box,
Street address, and City, State, zip code. And I need to import all of them
to my mailing labels. All my Excel sheets are set up the same way. But,
when I go to import the spreadsheet into mail merge, even if I select the
entire spreadsheet, sometimes it only allows 3 merge fields. I have tried
everything I can think of, but the problem pops up in 2 of my 4 spreadsheets.

"Bob Carlton" wrote:

The number of merge fields seems to vary. I need five merge fields, and
sometimes only 3 are available. If I go to a different excel document to
import, there may or may not be five fields available. How do I set word so
that I have more merge fields available all the time.
--
bob carlton

Peter Jamieson

Can you please try exporting the Excel data from one of the "non-working"
sheets and re-importing into a completely new sheet?

Do you have any hidden columns in the non-working sheets?

"Bob Carlton" wrote:

The number of merge fields seems to vary. I need five merge fields, and
sometimes only 3 are available. If I go to a different excel document to
import, there may or may not be five fields available. How do I set word
so
that I have more merge fields available all the time.
--
bob carlton

Bob Carlton

I tried what you suggested. This time I used the named fields in Excel, and
I got four merge fields. Ususally I just tell it entire spreadsheet. Still
need five because the City, State, zip didn't come across.
I have no hidden columns in my worksheets.

"Bob Carlton" wrote:

The number of merge fields seems to vary. I need five merge fields, and
sometimes only 3 are available. If I go to a different excel document to
import, there may or may not be five fields available. How do I set word
so
that I have more merge fields available all the time.
--
bob carlton

Bob Carlton

I believe I've fixed the problem. In Excel, just make sure the first row has
no blanks in it. I use five columns, but sometimes maybe there will be a
blank because of no P.O. Box, or perhaps no owner name, just a business name.
And, other times I will have all five. Business name, owner name, P.O. Box,
Street Address, and City, State, Zipcode. When Word sets up the merge
fields, it evidently detects a blank cell, and reduces the fields as such.
Quite an exercise in futility for a re-printed/corrected mailing label list,
but at least now it appears to work.