hisfinechina

Default How do I save MS Word's Mail recipients to disk?

I am making a mailing list for printing lables.
I want to know how to save this mail recipient list to file, CD, Floppy.
I don't want to have to retype the list. I want to give it to the company I
am typing it for.
Thanks
Doug Robbins

I am not sure why you don't just save the data file that you are creating.

If however what you have done is type the data in the form of labels, see
"Convert Labels into Mail Merge Data File" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at:

http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"hisfinechina" wrote in message
I am making a mailing list for printing lables.
I want to know how to save this mail recipient list to file, CD, Floppy.
I don't want to have to retype the list. I want to give it to the company
am typing it for.
Thanks

Peter Jamieson

Which version of Word? Are you entering the recipients using the features
provided by Word Mailmerge?

If so,
a. In Word 2000 and earlier, at a certain point you will have saved the
mailing list, typically as a .doc (Word document. All you need to do is
ensure that that document is closed (close it if it is open, and close any
mail merge main document that is connected to it), and copy it to CD/Floppy
etc.
b. in Word 2002/2003, you will have saved the list as an "Office Address
List", which is an Access (Jet) database with extension .mdb. Again, you
should be able to copy that .mdb (typically it will be in the My Data
Sources folder under your My Documents folder) to CD/diskette.

If not, how are you creating your mailing list?

Peter Jamieson

"hisfinechina" wrote in message
I am making a mailing list for printing lables.
I want to know how to save this mail recipient list to file, CD, Floppy.
I don't want to have to retype the list. I want to give it to the company
am typing it for.
Thanks

bitsy46

I also have the same problem - I can save the files in mdb (or that is how
they are saved) but I need to be able to open them in Word not Access (which
I do not have)? Any help would be appreciated.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Peter Jamieson

In that case the simplest thing to do is to create a Word directory merge
with one row containing all the fields in the merge data source (or at
least, all the fields that you actually need). You can separate the merge
field codes by tabs, or you can create a table with a single row and as many
columns as you need and put each merge field in a separate cell. If you do
that, ensure that you do not have any paragraph marks after the table other
than the one Word forces you to have.

Then do the merge, add an extra row at the beginning containing the mail
merge field names, and save the document, and you have a data source which
anyone with a sufficiently up-to-date version of Word can use.

If you do this a lot, keep a copy of the header row in a separate Word
document and use Inseret|File to insert it.

Peter Jamieson

news