Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
mrstupid

Default Access to Word - mergin with images

Hi hope someone can help to point me in the right direction.

I have a database fo 500 events. Sometimes I need to create posters for
these events and I want to have a poster template in word, that asks me which
event to print and bring in the data. So far so good.

However, there is an image field on each record. It is simply the name of an
image and the image is stored in a subdirectory.

Is there a way I can get word to load the image for an event just by giving
it the name of the image?

Thanks for any pointers

I.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?bXJzdHVwaWQ=?=,

I have a database fo 500 events. Sometimes I need to create posters for
these events and I want to have a poster template in word, that asks me which
event to print and bring in the data. So far so good.

However, there is an image field on each record. It is simply the name of an
image and the image is stored in a subdirectory.

Look in the "special merges" section of my website's mail merge FAQ. There are
instructions there on how to set this up.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
mrstupid

Hi Cindy

thanks for your reply - funnily enough I went to your page last night, and
had high hopes - but i must be still missing something because all i get is a
box with a red cross in the corner. Can you tell me where i might be going
wrong:

i have a merged doc (with my access database) with all the fields i need to
make a Poster (venue, time, date, photoname, etc). I can see as i go from
record to record all the fields changing. So far so good.

i click ctrl F9 for the { } and insert the text:-

IncludePicture "Z:\\Databases\\Images\\ { Mergefield photo \* upper } "

I def have images in that folder, and each records image name is help in the
field 'photo' - e.g. gosfordpark.jpg

It is probably obvious what the problem is but i can't seen it!

Thanks for any help.

Ian
Flicks in the Sticks
Reg Charity No.1075794

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?bXJzdHVwaWQ=?=,

I have a database fo 500 events. Sometimes I need to create posters for
these events and I want to have a poster template in word, that asks me which
event to print and bring in the data. So far so good.

However, there is an image field on each record. It is simply the name of an
image and the image is stored in a subdirectory.

Look in the "special merges" section of my website's mail merge FAQ. There are
instructions there on how to set this up.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

You have an unwanted space in the field as reproduced:

{IncludePicture "Z:\\Databases\\Images\\{ Mergefield photo}"}
or
{IncludePicture "Z:/Databases/Images/{ Mergefield photo}"}

should work

The *upper switch is probably unnecessary.

Merge to a new document, select all (CTRL+A) then update.

See http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_graphics.htm

"

I def have images in that folder, and each records image name is help
in the field 'photo' - e.g. gosfordpark.jpg

It is probably obvious what the problem is but i can't seen it!

Thanks for any help.

Ian
Flicks in the Sticks
Reg Charity No.1075794

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?bXJzdHVwaWQ=?=,

I have a database fo 500 events. Sometimes I need to create posters
for these events and I want to have a poster template in word, that
asks me which event to print and bring in the data. So far so good.

However, there is an image field on each record. It is simply the
name of an image and the image is stored in a subdirectory.

Look in the "special merges" section of my website's mail merge FAQ.
There are instructions there on how to set this up.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
mrstupid

HI Grahame

Thanks for responding. I did checkout your site too last night. I copied the
text you wrote below, and pasted it into my doc, did Ctr;+A and F9 but still
the square with a red cross appeared.

I am using word 2003 so i don't think the problem is with word.

Here is what i have in my word doc:

Film name: { MERGEFIELD "film_name" }
Name of photo: { MERGEFIELD "Photo" }
New try to get picture into the poster:
{ IncludePicture "Z:/Databases/Images/{ MergeField photo}"}

which gives me this for each record:
Name of film: GOSFORD PARK
Name of photo: gosfordpark2.jpg
New try to get picture into the poster: just a square with red cross

Any other thoughts as to what might be going wrong?

Cheers

Ian

mrstupid wrote:
[...]

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?bXJzdHVwaWQ=?=,

I have a database fo 500 events. Sometimes I need to create posters
for these events and I want to have a poster template in word, that
asks me which event to print and bring in the data. So far so good.

However, there is an image field on each record. It is simply the
name of an image and the image is stored in a subdirectory.

Look in the "special merges" section of my website's mail merge FAQ.
There are instructions there on how to set this up.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

What happens if you insert

{IncludePicture "Z:\\Databases\\Images\\gosfordpark2.jpg"}
or
{IncludePicture "Z:/Databases/Images/gosfordpark2.jpg"}

It sounds like the merge is not finding the image. The reason for that is
difficult to determine at this distance, but is likely to be an error in the
path/filename. Can the merge access the folder Z:\Databases\Images\?

Does that folder contain the image gosfordpark2.jpg or gosfordpark2?

Try moving that image to the folder containing the merge document then
remove the path from the INCLUDETEXT statement. Does it show now?

If you can get the picture to show (and don't forget that you need CTRL+F9
for each pair of field boundaries) then you should be able to work back to
your error.

mrstupid wrote:
Hi Cindy

thanks for your reply - funnily enough I went to your page last
night, and had high hopes - but i must be still missing something
because all i get is a box with a red cross in the corner. Can you
tell me where i might be going wrong:

i have a merged doc (with my access database) with all the fields i
need to make a Poster (venue, time, date, photoname, etc). I can see
as i go from record to record all the fields changing. So far so
good.

i click ctrl F9 for the { } and insert the text:-

IncludePicture "Z:\\Databases\\Images\\ { Mergefield photo \* upper
} "

I def have images in that folder, and each records image name is
help in the field 'photo' - e.g. gosfordpark.jpg

It is probably obvious what the problem is but i can't seen it!

Thanks for any help.

Ian
Flicks in the Sticks
Reg Charity No.1075794

Hi ?B?bXJzdHVwaWQ=?=,

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun 8
2004) http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
FlicksintheSticks

--
Flicks in the Sticks - touring Big Screen cinema to rural venues.

mrstupid wrote:
[...]

Hi ?B?bXJzdHVwaWQ=?=,