Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com christophercbrewster via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default Can I "branch" a template for a new doc type?

I've been using a template for a group of documents but now realize one
subgroup is different and needs its own separate template. Can I copy the
template with a new name and attach it to these documents? What kind of scary
hidden dependencies can I expect?

--
Christopher Brewster
Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Yes, you can do exactly that. The only "scary hidden dependency" or
anything like that is to make sure the "Automatically update styles"
box in the Templates & Add-Ins dialog is unchecked except when you
specifically want to update the document's styles to use different
definitions from the newly attached template.

For a good discussion of this, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/atta...ate/index.html
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/temp...ons/index.html

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 15:43:34 GMT, "christophercbrewster via