Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ann

Default Strange quote marks

In typing dialogue in a story, all of a sudden, the quote marks changed from
regular ones, "like this," to: €žThats a remote possibility.€œ

Note that the "open quote mark" is down and the "close quote mark" goes the
other way than it should. I'm in Courier, if that means anything.

I cannot find out where the problem comes from. In looking at the Character
Map, I have found these marks. The first one is U+201E: Double Low-9
Quotation Mark.

I finally deleted the whole section and retyped it and had no problem. How
do I stop this from happening again? I certainly didn't hit the Unicode key
combination by mistake.

I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,
Ann

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ann

How did I do that? I didn't change anything from one document to the next or
in the middle of the working one. Thanks, Ann

"Ann" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Beats me, but look at Tools | Language | Set Language to see what language
is assigned to the text in question, then check Control Panel | Regional
Options to see what language keyboard is selected.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The most likely possibility is that you have enabled a different

language
keyboard.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Ann" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

Setting the language correctly in Word is rather tricky, nowadays. You
may want to take a look at the following article:

Get control of language formatting in Word
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ann" wrote in message
In typing dialogue in a story, all of a sudden, the quote marks

changed
from
regular ones, "like this," to: "That's a remote possibility."

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ann

Thanks for the help. Since I haven't fooled with any keyboard settings, or
used any other language than English, and can't find any formatting problems,
I guess it will just be a mystery.

Ann