r frank

Default eliminating tick marks and formatting selected text

Can you please help us to eliminate tick marks?

When our newspaper staff uses Microsoft Word 2003 to create news articles,
we utilize Word's function for "formatting of selected text." Overall, it
helps, BUT it continually give us tick marks instead of quote marks or
apostrophes.

As a result, when we place that copy in Adobe In Design, we have to search
and replace each tick mark with ... open quotes, close quotes, apostrophes,
etc. It often takes hours of time each issue.

We'd like to get rid of the tick marks all together. How do we do that in MS
Word 2003 ... "Formatting of selected text" does not seem to allow you to do
that.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Robert Frank
Washington State University

--
Robert Frank, editor
WSU Today
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?ciBmcmFuaw==?=,

I'm not sure what you mean by "tick marks". When I encounter the term, I
envision what I call checkmarks (like a v, where the one side is much longer
than the other). And I don't think I've ever seen Word generate this symbol
instead of an apostrophe or quotation mark (either the straight ones, or the
typographical sort).

Which language version of Word do you have?
With what language is the text in the document formatted?

When our newspaper staff uses Microsoft Word 2003 to create news articles,
we utilize Word's function for "formatting of selected text." Overall, it
helps, BUT it continually give us tick marks instead of quote marks or
apostrophes.

As a result, when we place that copy in Adobe In Design, we have to search
and replace each tick mark with ... open quotes, close quotes, apostrophes,
etc. It often takes hours of time each issue.

We'd like to get rid of the tick marks all together. How do we do that in MS
Word 2003 ... "Formatting of selected text" does not seem to allow you to do
that.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org