Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul T, Houston Texas Paul T, Houston Texas is offline

Default Spell Checker - Office 2007 wiped out my spell checker

I just upgraded from 2003 to 2007.
Spell checker is gone..seems I'm not the only one but so far I have not
found a solution. I've got French but apparently people in redmond think
Americains speak French now.
Does anyone know how to get spell checker back easily!!!

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul T, Houston Texas Paul T, Houston Texas is offline

Thank you very much - However Dell didn't give me any disc's - they gave me a
cardboard disc awhich says I don't need a real cd because I have this paper
disc. As usual trying to get anything out of Dell customer service is a joke.
(which is why I would never buy anything from Dell again)

Is there any other way to get this fixed. What about Microsoft any word from
them on this inferior product they put ut to increase productivity??

"Paul T, Houston Texas" wrote:

I just upgraded from 2003 to 2007.
Spell checker is gone..seems I'm not the only one but so far I have not
found a solution. I've got French but apparently people in redmond think
Americains speak French now.
Does anyone know how to get spell checker back easily!!!

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Paul,

The 'french only' speller is only in MS Internet Explorer's Outlook Express, which isn't a part of Office and has never had its own
spell check capability. Outlook Express hasn't been updated to recognize the new English language Proofing Tools that Office 2007
provides (that include contextutal spelling) and whether the Internet Explorer team at MS plans to update Outlook Express is
probably only a matter of conjecture at this point.

There are a number of 3rd party add-ins for Outlook Express that folks without Office have used and they should work in Outlook
Express as well.

Here are a couple that folks have reported work for them. The 2nd one has links to spellers for other than U.S. English (although
with some qualifications).

A. Vampirefo Spellchecker for Outlook Express:
http://geocities.com/vampirefo/

B. Tinyspell:
http://tinyspell.m6.net

==========

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul T, Houston Texas Paul T, Houston Texas is offline

Thanks for your help however I was referring to OutLook 2007 as well as Word,
Power Point...I do not use Express. All of these worked prior to the 2007
upgrade and now they don't.
Any ideas?
Thank you

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Paul,

Other than in Outlook Express this isn't one that has been reported as a common problem with Office 2007 English language editions.

In Word in Review=Proofing=Set Language (or clicking on the name of the current default language in the status bar at the bottom
of the Word 2007 screen) what language choices have a checkmark with 'ABC' next to it? If English is not listed then check the
feature state for the Proofing Tools from the Microsoft Office choice in Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel and set
those features to 'run from my PC' status.

If English is listed and you open a document, type ctrl+A and then set the language to check to English and intentionally type a
Word incorrectly does Spell check find it?

If not, and you restart the PC then run Office diagnostics from Word's options (Alt, T, O, R) does it find any errors?

============
Paul T; "Houston Texas" wrote in message

Thanks for your help however I was referring to OutLook 2007 as well as Word,
Power Point...I do not use Express. All of these worked prior to the 2007
upgrade and now they don't.
Any ideas?
Thank you
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Paul,

I notice that you've posted both the question on the product in quite a few places. Beth Melton has provided the information on a
registry key to check that can, in some cases, 'free' the spelling tools to work in a mixed environment upgrade scenario.

The Registry key you want to delete is
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\ProofingTools\1.0\Override\en-US

You asked about the steps to delete that key. In Windows XP,

1. Close all running apps then use Start=Run=RegEdit

2. In RegEdit scroll to the top of the tree for
HKEY_CURRENT_USER
and expand the tree by clicking on the 'plus' sign.

3. Scroll to the 'software category and expand the 'Microsoft' choice.

4. Scroll down in the 'Microsoft choice' to the 'Shared Tools' choice and expand that category to the 'Proofing Tools' category.

5. Scroll down in the 'Proofing Tools' category and *select* the 1.0 category then right click and choose 'Export' to back up the
key.

6. In the Export Registry File box type in a name (choose also a location for the file) such as 'Office 2007 Proofing Override) and
'save the file'

7. In RegEdit look at the right hand panel when 1.0' is selected in the left pane. If you see the 'override' key. select it, right
click and choose 'delete'

8. Close Regedit and restart Word to check the Language tool settings to see if English is available.

==============
Paul T; "Houston Texas" wrote in message
Thanks for your help however I was referring to OutLook 2007 as well as Word,
Power Point...I do not use Express. All of these worked prior to the 2007
upgrade and now they don't.
Any ideas?
Thank you
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ThreePutt ThreePutt is offline

I installed MS Enterprise 2007 las week and the same problem happened to me.
I had English as my default spell check in Outlook Express since my IP uses
that for their e-mail service. Now all I can see is French in the spell
checker.
--
Mike A.

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Check if the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0\Override" exists and if it does delete it.

If that is not the problem

Office Button Word Options Add Ins Manage (select disabled items)
Click on the English dictionary and re-enable it.
Close and re-open Word and Outlook.