Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Waldszenen Waldszenen is offline

Default Multiple close/minimise/maximise buttons

Hi there,
In Excel 2007 and Word 2003, the top right corner of the window contains two
sets of close, full-screen and minimise buttons; the top one for the entire
program and the bottom one for the current active document. In Word 2007,
though, there's only one set, and it's for the entire program. Is there any
way to go back to the old two-sets of buttons?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Pretty dumb, huh?

From what I've seen, the easiest & most immediate fix for this "UI
Enhancement" is to add the Close/Close All button to your QAT.

HTH |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 6/23/07 9:25 AM, in article
, "Waldszenen"
wrote:

Hi there,
In Excel 2007 and Word 2003, the top right corner of the window contains two
sets of close, full-screen and minimise buttons; the top one for the entire
program and the bottom one for the current active document. In Word 2007,
though, there's only one set, and it's for the entire program. Is there any
way to go back to the old two-sets of buttons?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You get two sets of buttons when "Show all windows in the Taskbar" is turned
off (Office - Word Options - Advanced - Display section).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"CyberTaz" wrote in message
.. .
Pretty dumb, huh?

From what I've seen, the easiest & most immediate fix for this "UI

wrote:

Hi there,
In Excel 2007 and Word 2003, the top right corner of the window contains
two
sets of close, full-screen and minimise buttons; the top one for the
entire
program and the bottom one for the current active document. In Word 2007,
though, there's only one set, and it's for the entire program. Is there
any
way to go back to the old two-sets of buttons?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Deejay Deejay is offline

Warning: by turning off the 'Show all windows in the Taskbar' button it
becomes awkward to find the open files other than the active one. You must go
to the Window ribbon and there go to Switch windows.

Why on earth di MS remove the second x when there is only a single file
open? I keep on having to reopen Word again again because I keep on
accidentally closing it down.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

You get two sets of buttons when "Show all windows in the Taskbar" is turned
off (Office - Word Options - Advanced - Display section).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"CyberTaz" wrote in message
.. .
Pretty dumb, huh?

From what I've seen, the easiest & most immediate fix for this "UI

wrote:

Hi there,
In Excel 2007 and Word 2003, the top right corner of the window contains
two
sets of close, full-screen and minimise buttons; the top one for the
entire
program and the bottom one for the current active document. In Word 2007,
though, there's only one set, and it's for the entire program. Is there
any
way to go back to the old two-sets of buttons?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well... there are tradeoffs, I guess. Since I've been using Word 2007 for
well over a year, I guess I'm well-accustomed to it, and already expended my
aggravation with the differences a long time ago--either getting used to
them or customizing work-arounds.

The close button changes didn't particularly annoy me, however, since I've
never used them very much. I tend to use keystrokes, instead (Ctrl+F4 and
Alt+F4 work as they always have), reaching for the mouse only when I
absolutely have to.

As for being able to find open documents... the taskbar isn't of any use to
me at all. It doesn't show enough of the open document name for me to be
able to tell what's what just by looking, so I'd have to hover to see what's
what, and that's too slow. Instead, I long ago assigned NextWindow and
PrevWindow to Ctrl+Alt+Right and Left, respectively. So, when I'm looking
for another open Word document, I just hold down Ctrl+Alt and tap the Right
or Left key until it pops into view.

--

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

You get two sets of buttons when "Show all windows in the Taskbar" is
turned
off (Office - Word Options - Advanced - Display section).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"CyberTaz" wrote in message
.. .
Pretty dumb, huh?

From what I've seen, the easiest & most immediate fix for this "UI

wrote:

Hi there,
In Excel 2007 and Word 2003, the top right corner of the window
contains
two
sets of close, full-screen and minimise buttons; the top one for the
entire
program and the bottom one for the current active document. In Word
2007,
though, there's only one set, and it's for the entire program. Is
there
any
way to go back to the old two-sets of buttons?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
user1945 user1945 is offline

Gotta agree with you. Contrary to what Herb Tyson sez (later in this thread),
it is a very un-helpful change in the workflow for me. I did add a "close"
button to the Quick Action toolbar, but it is on the other side of the screen
from the Min/Max/Close location.

Sorry, but to me this seems to be one of those "We did it 'cause we could!"
dis-improvements to Word. No reason to remove the buttons, but they did
anyway.

"Waldszenen" wrote:

Hi there,
In Excel 2007 and Word 2003, the top right corner of the window contains two
sets of close, full-screen and minimise buttons; the top one for the entire
program and the bottom one for the current active document. In Word 2007,
though, there's only one set, and it's for the entire program. Is there any
way to go back to the old two-sets of buttons?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

You do have a choice to get back the multiple close / minimize buttons
in Word, however there is a trade-off that you will have to make.
By default Word has "Show all windows in the Taskbar" enabled. Which
means that you will see each individual document in the taskbar and when
you close the last one, you also close Word. However, if you disable the
option, then the taskbar will list only the currently active document in
the taskbar and to switch between documents you will need to use the
Switch Windows command in the View tab. When you close the last
document, Word will remain open for you to select or create another
document.

To change the option, click on the Office button, select Word Options,
select the Advanced tab. Scroll to the Display Group and clear the
checkmark from "Show all windows in the Taskbar".

Perhaps this is a more convenient "evil" to live with.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
1/13/2008 8:23 PM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
G G is offline

Herb you are the man...I have been trying to figure this out for a few...and
in one easy step...it's done. Whew...I sure hope you continue to stay on the
threads in the future.

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

You get two sets of buttons when "Show all windows in the Taskbar" is turned
off (Office - Word Options - Advanced - Display section).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com