Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
yclhk yclhk is offline

Default Merge Print Label

I wish to merge print a set of labels from the data in a Excel file.

The content of the exce file:

Name Address Tel Team
ABC House1 1234 A
BCD House2 2345 B
CDE House3 3456 C
DEF House4 4567 B
EFG House5 5678 A
FGH House6 6789 C

I merge the fields from the Excel file and print the labels in the following
form:

Name: ABC
Add: House1
Tel: 1234
Team: A

I wish to print the labels in the Team A, B and C in seperate sheets, i.e
the sheet Team A with the data of Team A ........ . I can merge the data
and print the all the labels in one sheet but how can I print the labels in
seperate sheet with data of Team A, B and C ?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word does not lend itself to this type of merge. The simplest solution would
be to merge each Team separately

yclhk wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The simplest solution might be to sort the Excel file by team before
beginning the merge. Then merge to a new document, which may result in some
of the B team starting on an A page, but that page is going to be incomplete
anyway, so you won't lose anything by splitting the page: select the first
row of B team labels and format them as "Page break before." If a row is
mixed A and B, you'll have to insert some blank cells, but if you have only
three teams as indicated, this is not a lot of work to do twice. If you have
more teams than A, B, and C, you might find Graham's suggestion more
efficient (you might anyway, actually).

"yclhk" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
yclhk yclhk is offline

Dear Graham,

There are ten teams data in the Excel file and I hope to merge to print the
labels in ten seperate label sheets by each team. I worked in the following
ways but got the problem:

1) sorted the Excel file and made the data arranged by Teams A, B, C, D......
2) saved the Excel file and quited
3) merge to a Word file in form of labels layout
4) in the merge option select Team = A and print the sheet of Team A and so on
5) I could work Team A, B, C, D, E however, while I continued to merge Team
F, G, H, it can't work and return with a message that can't merge the empty
data from source.

Does I work in the wrong way or the merge operation have the limitation for
something ?

Thanks again for your help,

yclhk

yclhk wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

From the merge toolbar - see
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm select the Mail
Merge Recipients button. This will list all the records. It doesn't matter
whether they are sorted in Excel.

Click the tiny arrow in the header row against the Team column. This will
list the variables that column contains. Pick the team you want to print and
merge. Next from the same arrow select 'All', to display all the records
again, then select the next team. You should be able to merge each team
separately.

yclhk wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
yclhk yclhk is offline

Dear Graham,

My MS Office ver is Word 2000. How can I work with this version ? And,
your help link provided is not worked.

Thnaks,

From the merge toolbar - see

yclhk wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

There is a great tutorial on using Word 2000 Mail Merge at
http://www.personal-computer-tutor.com/mailmerge.htm and another one at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211303 which might be of help.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

"yclhk" wrote in message
:

Dear Graham,

My MS Office ver is Word 2000. How can I work with this version ? And,
your help link provided is not worked.

Thnaks,

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
1/31/2008 9:09 AM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If anything it is easier in Word 2000 as you can use the query options of
the mail merge helper to choose the records.

yclhk wrote:
Dear Graham,

My MS Office ver is Word 2000. How can I work with this version ?
And, your help link provided is not worked.

Thnaks,

From the merge toolbar - see

yclhk wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
yclhk yclhk is offline

Hi, Graham, thanks again.

I've worked in the following way to solve the problem:
- use auto filter in the excel file and sorted the expected Team by click
the small arrow;
- then merge the fields in Word and set the query to the desred Team

Anyway, thanks,

yclhk wrote:
Dear Graham,

My MS Office ver is Word 2000. How can I work with this version ?
And, your help link provided is not worked.

Thnaks,

From the merge toolbar - see