Schmenky

Default unable to change default font

Hi,

I have the following problem with a newly installed Word 2003: When I want
to change the default font (using 'format, font, default'), Word saves the
change to the normal.dot file. But when I restart Word, I get the old default
font, and not the new one I selected (it is installed on the pc). Any
suggestions why this occurs?

cheers, John

Beth Melton

Do you happen to use Adobe 7.0? If so then their new add-in discards
changes you make to your Normal.dot. Try changing it again but hold
Shift, click the File menu and select "Save All" to explicitly save
your Normal.dot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Schmenky" wrote in message
Hi,

I have the following problem with a newly installed Word 2003: When
I want
to change the default font (using 'format, font, default'), Word
saves the
change to the normal.dot file. But when I restart Word, I get the
old default
font, and not the new one I selected (it is installed on the pc).
Any
suggestions why this occurs?

cheers, John

Schmenky

Suzanne,

thenx for the reply. Your colleague Beth Melton gave me the solution (see
the following post). The problem was the Adobe 7 plug-in.

greetz from the Netherlands..

John

"Schmenky" wrote in message
Hi,

I have the following problem with a newly installed Word 2003: When I want
to change the default font (using 'format, font, default'), Word saves the
change to the normal.dot file. But when I restart Word, I get the old

default
font, and not the new one I selected (it is installed on the pc). Any
suggestions why this occurs?

cheers, John

Schmenky

Beth,

Yes, I use Acrobat. I followed your suggestion, and now it works!

many thenx and greetz from the Netherlands!

John

"Schmenky" wrote in message
Hi,

I have the following problem with a newly installed Word 2003: When
I want
to change the default font (using 'format, font, default'), Word
saves the
change to the normal.dot file. But when I restart Word, I get the
old default
font, and not the new one I selected (it is installed on the pc).
Any
suggestions why this occurs?

cheers, John

Yep, we've had a rash of that lately, and I should have thought of it. Until
we started seeing this problem, I was unaware that there even was a new
version of Acrobat, so it's interesting to see how many users have already
(prematurely?) upgraded.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Either Normal.dot is not being saved, or it is being regenerated fresh

when
you start Word. Are you on a standalone machine or a corporate network?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.