Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Rhonda Rhonda is offline

Default why can't i type in the cell of a table

When I try to type in the cells of a table, no letters show
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: why can't i type in the cell of a table

There could be a few reasons why you're unable to type in the cells of a table in Microsoft Word. Here are a few things you can try to fix the issue:
  1. Check if the table is locked: Sometimes, tables in Word can be locked, which prevents you from typing in the cells. To check if the table is locked, right-click on the table and select "Table Properties." In the Table Properties dialog box, click on the "Table" tab and make sure that the "Allow row to break across pages" and "Allow auto fit" options are selected. If the "Table cannot be edited" option is selected, uncheck it and click "OK."
  2. Check if the text color is the same as the cell background: It's possible that you're typing in the cells, but the text color is the same as the cell background, making it appear as if you're not typing anything. To check this, select the text in the cell and change the font color to something different.
  3. Check if the table is in a protected section: If the table is in a protected section of the document, you won't be able to type in the cells. To check this, go to the "Review" tab and click on "Restrict Editing." In the Restrict Editing pane, check if the "Allow only this type of editing in the document" option is selected. If it is, click on "Stop Protection" to unlock the document.
  4. Check if the table is in a read-only document: If the document is read-only, you won't be able to make any changes to it, including typing in the cells of a table. To check this, go to the "File" tab and look for the "Protect Document" option. If it's selected, click on it and select "Stop Protection" to unlock the document.

I hope these tips help you resolve the issue and start typing in the cells of your table.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Perhaps a fixed row height has been specified, in which case excessive text
won't be visible. Right-click the table and choose Table Properties from the
context menu; look at the Row tab of the dialog box. Clear the "Specify
height" option if it is selected. Note that you can use the Previous Row and
Next Row buttons to move between the table rows.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Rhonda" wrote in message
When I try to type in the cells of a table, no letters show

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Stefan has suggested one likely possibility. Another is that the text in the
cell has been formatted as Font Color: White or Hidden.

http://word.mvps.org

"Rhonda" wrote in message
When I try to type in the cells of a table, no letters show

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeanH DeanH is offline

And another possiblity... is that the cell has an indent too large for the
cell and the text is outside the cell borders. I have seen this many times,
especially when the table has been pasted from another document with clashing
styles.

Hope this helps
DeanH

"Rhonda" wrote in message
When I try to type in the cells of a table, no letters show

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeanH DeanH is offline

Yep, that is why left the comments a indent, as you say, you can get both
causing havoc.
All the best
DeanH