Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mike[_3_] Mike[_3_] is offline

Default size in Mathtype

Hi

I use mathtype in word to type equations or variables.
I type P(Big_theta). I use paranthesis in Mathtype.
If I type P(Big_theta_prime) using superscript in mathtype, I find
the paranthesis grows bigger.
So I try.
Then I find if I use keyboard-supplied () then it's ok.
Why?

Very often I find size problem in mathtype and also problems about
linespacing if the doc is in two-columen.

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Mathews Bob Mathews is offline

On 11-Apr-2007, Mike wrote:

I use mathtype in word to type equations or variables.
I type P(Big_theta). I use paranthesis in Mathtype.
If I type P(Big_theta_prime) using superscript in mathtype,
I find the paranthesis grows bigger. So I try. Then I find if
I use keyboard-supplied () then it's ok. Why?

Mike, the parentheses that grow are the ones from the MathType
palette. You've obviously found those, since you've been using
them. They will grow larger to accommodate the contents, such as
a fraction, etc. If you don't want them to grow with the
contents, you can use the ones off the keyboard, as you've found
out. We designed MathType that way so you will have a choice of
which parentheses to use, and whether they will expand with the
contents or not. Obviously the keyboard parentheses won't look
very nice when enclosing a fraction or other vertically large
expression.

Very often I find size problem in mathtype and also problems
about linespacing if the doc is in two-columen.

What you're describing is really the way Word handles paragraph
spacing, rather than a problem with MathType itself. You can
adjust this on an individual paragraph basis through the
Paragraph dialog (Format Paragraph). Look for the dropdown box
labeled "Line spacing". The default is "Single", so switch it to
"Exactly". In the box labeled "At", you need to enter a value.
"Single" spacing is 14 pt for 12 pt text, so if you're using 12
pt text, and just want to accommodate a superscripted variable,
such as x-squared, 14 pt paragraph spacing will work nicely. If
it's a larger expression, play with the value until something
works. Keep in mind though, that using spacing values of "Exactly
_ _ pt" will space the entire paragraph that way. If that's what
you want, OK, but for very large expressions, it looks a bit
goofy. It's also possible to use fractional point sizes, such as
15.3 pt, if that's what you need.

Another suggestion is that for simple expressions, such as a
superscripted variable, you're better off in most cases by using
styled text, rather than using MathType. That is, type the
variable (in this case, x) then change to Superscript font style
(Format Font), then type the superscript. Also, italic
variables are standard for mathematics typesetting, so switch to
italic before you type the variable if you want it italicized. A
quick way to go back to "standard" formatting is with the
keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Spacebar (if you're using Windows that is;
you didn't say what version of Word you're using).

Write back if I didn't cover your specific issues exactly. I'm
not exactly what issues you're having with 2-column documents.

--
Bob Mathews
Director of Training
bobm at dessci.com
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide