Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Novelmom Novelmom is offline

Default Recipients can change doc?

Hello, need some help. I just noticed that when I send a word doc to
someone, that they can highlight the text and change it. Is this something
that they should be able to do or do I not have an option checked to disallow
this from happening? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

Yes, when you send a document to someone without protection turned on,
then the person can make changes as though they were the original
author.

You can protect the document to a certain extent. One method is to
password protect it so that only tracked changes can be typed into the
document. This method should return to you a "marked up" document so
that you can see their desired changes.

On the Review Tab in 2007, select Protect Document, and then select
Restrict Formatting and Editing. A Restrict Formatting and Editing Task
Pane will open. Place a checkmark in the "Allow only this type of
editing in the document". You can then choose Tracked Changes or No
Changes (Read Only). Then click the "Yes, Start Enforcing Protection" at
that point you can assign a password to the document.

In Word 2003 - from the Tools menu, select Protect Document. The task
pane that opens will be the same as above.

Be aware, that the user can still make change to the document if they
try hard enough. There are tools that they can purchase to enable them
to "crack" the password.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

"Novelmom" wrote in message
:

Hello, need some help. I just noticed that when I send a word doc to
someone, that they can highlight the text and change it. Is this something
that they should be able to do or do I not have an option checked to disallow
this from happening? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
2/4/2008 10:10 AM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

You don't need to purchase any tools when using this type of document
protection (Protect Document). All one needs to do is insert the content
into a new file. These tools are intended to be used for collaboration, not
document security.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

Mailmerge recipients Sonja Mailmerge 2 January 23rd 08 01:52 AM
Sorting Recipients cmiguez Mailmerge 0 November 15th 07 04:54 PM
change order of columns in mailmerge "select recipients" helios Mailmerge 5 August 27th 07 04:23 PM
fax recipients Dave Mailmerge 6 October 10th 06 06:11 PM
Choosing a different set of recipients LizJD Mailmerge 10 January 28th 06 01:52 PM