Using a PDF as background

Old January 23rd 09, 03:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected]

Default Using a PDF as background

I want to use a PDF-file as background for a merge document. The merge
document contains data that will eventually be printed on a pre-
printed form. I would like to use a scan of the pre-printed form as
background for the merge data, so that the user knows the context of
the data that is displayed in the merge document. Of course, the
background itself should not be printed.

Any suggestions?

Ewout
Old January 23rd 09, 03:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor

If you are scanning the form scan it to a graphics image such as jpg and not
PDF.
Insert the image full size and set its layout property to behind text.
Set the Word Option not to print drawing objects.

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Old February 4th 09, 01:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected]

Hi Graham,

I have used Adobe Acrobat Professional to convert the PDF to a JPEG-
file. I have inserted the file in the merge template. It looks rather
fine, although I think it will be difficult to calibrate the image.
(The pre-printed form has the size Letter 8.5" x 11". It was scanned
to a page with format A4 (about 8.27" x 11.69". The JPEG-file should
now be adjusted to the correct size. I think that will be a cumbersome
process.)

However, a more important problem is the following. The background of
the document should not be printed. You suggested to set the option
Print Drawing Objects to off, but in that case ALL texts would
disappear, because I have used text boxes to position the merge
fields.

Is it possible to indicate on the level of individual drawing objects
whether or not the object should be printed? If not, then I don't
think I will do any attempt to get the calibration right!

Ewout

wrote:
I want to use a PDF-file as background for a merge document. The merge
document contains data that will eventually be printed on a pre-
printed form. I would like to use a scan of the pre-printed form as
background for the merge data, so that the user knows the context of
the data that is displayed in the merge document. Of course, the
background itself should not be printed.

Any suggestions?

Ewout- Hide quoted text -

Old February 4th 09, 03:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor

Word makes no distinction between drawing objects - it is all or none. Use a
table rather than text boxes for your text.

Old September 17th 21, 04:09 PM
MaritzaJTilly MaritzaJTilly is offline

Hello friends, idea's shared by you here for your pdf files are great. If you need an online pdf converter for converting your documents then you can visit here. You can avail of these services for free here on this website.

background teddkilroy Microsoft Word Help 2 November 29th 07 10:54 PM
printing tiled background instead of full page background teacher4 Microsoft Word Help 0 May 18th 07 03:03 PM
background Pam Page Layout 1 August 28th 06 04:53 AM
the background mookmook Microsoft Word Help 2 January 4th 06 01:38 PM
Picture as Cell Background (or label background)? Mr B Microsoft Word Help 1 January 13th 05 06:33 PM