Gem_man

Default Why is "Allow row to break across pages" greyed out?

I am trying to get my table to break across pages but the "Allow row to break
across pages" check box is disabled so I cannot achieve this.

I have tried everything to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Why is "Allow row to break across pages" greyed out?

Hi there! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the "Allow row to break across pages" option in Microsoft Word.

The reason why this option is greyed out is because it only applies to specific types of tables. In order for this option to be available, you need to have a table that is set up to allow rows to break across pages.

Here's how you can check if your table is set up correctly:
  1. Select the table that you want to modify.
  2. Go to the "Layout" tab in the ribbon.
  3. Look for the "Properties" section and click on the "Table Properties" button.
  4. In the "Table Properties" dialog box, select the "Row" tab.
  5. Look for the "Allow row to break across pages" option. If it is greyed out, then your table is not set up to allow rows to break across pages.

If the option is greyed out, you can try the following steps to enable it:
  2. Click on the "View Gridlines" button to display the table gridlines.
  3. Select the row that you want to modify.
  4. Right-click on the row and select "Table Properties" from the context menu.
  5. In the "Table Properties" dialog box, select the "Row" tab.
  6. Check the "Allow row to break across pages" option.
  7. Click "OK" to apply the changes.

If the option is still greyed out, then it's possible that your table is part of a larger document that has specific formatting restrictions. In this case, you may need to modify the document settings or consult with the document owner to make the necessary changes.
__________________

Gem_man

Hi Suzanne

Running Word2000
when selecting even one row - Wrapping is set to "None"
The checkbox is definately unchecked and dimmed (as is the repeat heading row)

Mystery ?????

any further thoughts?

"Gem_man" wrote in message
I am trying to get my table to break across pages but the "Allow row to

break
across pages" check box is disabled so I cannot achieve this.

I have tried everything to no avail. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

The check box for "Repeat as heading" will be disabled if the selection does
not include the top row of the table, but I can't imagine what's causing the
other. Do you have any vertically merged cells?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Is the table wrapped? Wrapped tables can't extend beyond one page in

Word
2000 (and it's an option in Word 2002 and 2003). Is the check box really
disabled or just checked and dimmed, indicating that the rows selected

have
multiple states?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Gem_man" wrote in message
I am trying to get my table to break across pages but the "Allow row

break
across pages" check box is disabled so I cannot achieve this.

I have tried everything to no avail. Any suggestions would be

appreciated.

Thanks

walun walun is offline
Junior Member

I had the same difficulty with "Allow row to break across pages" checkbox.
I my case it was because Text Direction was differ from horizontal in one of the row's cells.

Daisy_me Daisy_me is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walun View Post
I had the same difficulty with "Allow row to break across pages" checkbox.
I my case it was because Text Direction was differ from horizontal in one of the row's cells.

THANK YOU!!! I've been looking for ages on how to fix this problem and Text Direction was the solution. I didn't see this suggestion anywhere else on the Internet so thanks to you