Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
nick.demarco nick.demarco is offline

Default Unusual Page Number Sequence in the Middle of Document

I have a multipage document, and part-way through, I wish to number pages in
the header or footer in an unusual manner, e.g. 11, 12, 12-A, 12-B, 13 etc.
I'm using Word 2003 and experimented with page and section breaks, but I
cannot seem to beat this. I checked the entries here, and didn't see this
question (but may have missed it). Any ideas? (Thank you all for your time
and dedication.)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

As far as I can tell, what you are asking for can not be done in Word,
except by manually enter the page numbers; you probably won't find it worth
the effort.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"nick.demarco" wrote in message
I have a multipage document, and part-way through, I wish to number pages
in
the header or footer in an unusual manner, e.g. 11, 12, 12-A, 12-B, 13
etc.
I'm using Word 2003 and experimented with page and section breaks, but I
cannot seem to beat this. I checked the entries here, and didn't see this
question (but may have missed it). Any ideas? (Thank you all for your
time
and dedication.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
nick.demarco[_2_] nick.demarco[_2_] is offline

Thanks for looking at it, Stefan. I was hoping for a miracle, like the
graphics layer in Excel, or something similar.

Wouldn't that be a neat idea? - a graphics layer that you could activate
atop the Word document itself? Then text boxes, graphics, etc. could be
placed independently of the text body.

Nick

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

As far as I can tell, what you are asking for can not be done in Word,
except by manually enter the page numbers; you probably won't find it worth
the effort.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"nick.demarco" wrote in message
I have a multipage document, and part-way through, I wish to number pages
in
the header or footer in an unusual manner, e.g. 11, 12, 12-A, 12-B, 13
etc.
I'm using Word 2003 and experimented with page and section breaks, but I
cannot seem to beat this. I checked the entries here, and didn't see this
question (but may have missed it). Any ideas? (Thank you all for your
time
and dedication.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word does have a separate graphics layer, but it isn't going to help with
this numbering problem. For that you need section breaks - the first at the
end of Page 12. Unlink the header/footer.

In the first section you would use a numeric page number field, starting at
1

On page 13, the first page of section 2 you would type 12- then insert a
page number field using the format ABC and start the numbering from A.

When you want to go back to the original number sequence, insert another
section break. Insert a Page number field with numeric digits and restart
the numbering from 13.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

As far as I can tell, what you are asking for can not be done in
Word, except by manually enter the page numbers; you probably won't
find it worth the effort.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"nick.demarco" wrote in
message ...
I have a multipage document, and part-way through, I wish to number
pages in
the header or footer in an unusual manner, e.g. 11, 12, 12-A, 12-B,
13 etc.
I'm using Word 2003 and experimented with page and section breaks,
but I cannot seem to beat this. I checked the entries here, and
didn't see this question (but may have missed it). Any ideas?
(Thank you all for your time
and dedication.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

But, of course, a page number such as "12-A" where the "12-" part has been
typed in, will not be correctly reflected in (say) the table of contents.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP