JB

Default adding new notes to doc with old notes just written as text

Hello,

I need to revise a paper I wrote with endnotes. However, I just wrote the
number of the note within the text and in the notes section as regular text.
I.e., I just wrote '1', selected it, then I did Format--Font--Superscript,
and then wrote the content of the note at the end of the paper. I realize now
I was doing this incorrectly. As I'm revising the document, I will need to
write new paragraphs with new notes in the middle of the paper. Would there
be any way in which I can have word recognize the existing notes and then
automatically renumber them when I write new ones? Thanks for any help.

Joseph
Anne Troy

That is Word's default behavior, Joseph. Likely, your fields just aren't
updating, so you don't notice that these items would renumber properly. See:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/u...osoft_word.htm
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"JB" wrote in message
Hello,

I need to revise a paper I wrote with endnotes. However, I just wrote the
number of the note within the text and in the notes section as regular
text.
I.e., I just wrote '1', selected it, then I did Format--Font--Superscript,
and then wrote the content of the note at the end of the paper. I realize
now
I was doing this incorrectly. As I'm revising the document, I will need to
write new paragraphs with new notes in the middle of the paper. Would
there
be any way in which I can have word recognize the existing notes and then
automatically renumber them when I write new ones? Thanks for any help.

Joseph

Charles Kenyon

It is simplest to do this manually. Perhaps copying your current endnotes to
a new document and then cutting and pasting throughout your original,
setting them as actual Word notes. Any macro solution would depend on
exactly how your document is set up and would almost certainly involve more
work than the manual solution. If you were doing this on 50 or 100 different
papers, a macro might be worth the effort. IMHO
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.