Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom Tom is offline

Default Turn Off MARKUP in Word 2003

I open a file and Markup is ON. I turn it off, save the file, close the file,
and reopen it - Markup is back ON.
I have located the below instructions and there is NOTHING in the Properties
box. It would appear that my document is different than the document who ever
wrote the instructions was using.

How do I get Markup to be turned OFF most of the time. I would like to be
able to turn it on only when I want it on.

************
"If you turn off change tracking in a document and change tracking is turned
on when you reopen the document, you may need to modify the file properties.
On the File menu, click Properties, and then click the Custom tab. In the
Properties box, click each item, click Delete, and then close the document.
When you open the document again, change tracking is turned off."

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

First, understand that whether the markup is *visible* has nothing to
do with whether Track Changes is turned on or off -- they are separate
settings. You can turn off Track Changes so that no more changes will
be marked, but still have markup visible. Conversely, you can leave
Tracked Changes turned on and remember all the markup, but just not
show it.

Second, Word is showing you the markup for a reason: so you'll know
that there are tracked changes in the document, and you won't email or
otherwise share a document with someone else who will be able to read
the "deleted" text when they shouldn't. The effects of that kind of
mistake can range from embarrassment to lawsuits to international
disputes.

The setting that controls this is in Tools Options Security, "Make
hidden markup visible when opening or saving". If you turn it off,
it's at your own considerable risk.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 09:58:01 -0700, Tom
wrote:

I open a file and Markup is ON. I turn it off, save the file, close the file,
and reopen it - Markup is back ON.
I have located the below instructions and there is NOTHING in the Properties
box. It would appear that my document is different than the document who ever
wrote the instructions was using.

How do I get Markup to be turned OFF most of the time. I would like to be
able to turn it on only when I want it on.

************
"If you turn off change tracking in a document and change tracking is turned
on when you reopen the document, you may need to modify the file properties.
On the File menu, click Properties, and then click the Custom tab. In the
Properties box, click each item, click Delete, and then close the document.
When you open the document again, change tracking is turned off."

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The setting that controls this is in Tools Options Security, "Make
hidden markup visible when opening or saving". If you turn it off,
it's at your own considerable risk.

And, judging from many user reports, probably won't make any difference:
you'll *still* see markup!

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
skyef skyef is offline

Hi there,

Our problem is that we are attempting to upload documents to a storage area
and retain the date information of the date the documents were
created/issued/mailed etc. However, when we open them, the date automatically
changes to the current date instead of retaining this information. Surely we
are not the only ones experiencing this and it is a compliance issue for many
industries to be unable to retain that information. PLEASE HELP!!

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Markup has nothing to do with your problem. Why post as a reply to this
thread?

The keyboard shortcut for Insert Date, and the icon on the header/footer
toolbar insert an automatically updating date field, {DATE}, so if either of
those were used in creating the doc, you get date changes.

To fix old docs, select the field, toggle field codes on the right-click
menu (or hit alt-F9), and change the DATE field to CREATEDATE.

For more information, see he
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/DateFields.htm

For the future, you could make the {CREATEDATE} field into an AutoText entry
and assign it a shortcut.
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/AutoText.htm

There is also a {SAVEDATE} field which shows last saved date.

On 10/11/06 11:19 PM, "skyef" wrote:

Hi there,

Our problem is that we are attempting to upload documents to a storage area
and retain the date information of the date the documents were
created/issued/mailed etc. However, when we open them, the date automatically
changes to the current date instead of retaining this information. Surely we
are not the only ones experiencing this and it is a compliance issue for many
industries to be unable to retain that information. PLEASE HELP!!

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
skyef skyef is offline

Thank you but we have tried that and the date is actually coming from a
bookmark in an operational system we use. i will explain further:

We use software ABCDEF for the administration and storage of client files.
We create multiple templates in this software that use bookmarks to draw
over clients data from their files.
When we print or send a letter, we do it through the ABCDEF software and it
automatically saves a copy of whatever we sent to a storage area in their
file.

Later, if we want to access that document and reprint it for any reason, the
bookmarks for the date and time have not been saved and balloons appear where
bookmarked information has been entered or where we added additional text to
the document we eventually sent to the client so that is why I posted it
here. It seems like the problem is not with the date insertion but with the
Markup View.

I could be wrong...any ideas would be most helpful.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you mean the date inserted in the letters, then this is normal if you
have inserted a date field which simply reflects the system date of the PC.
To get the creation date you need to change the date fields to createdate
fields. If you have a lot of such documents then you can batch convert them.
If the date has been inserted from the InsertDate or Insert Field options
then you will have a DATE or TIME field followed by a formatting mask eg

{ DATE \@ "dd/MM/yyyy" }
or
{ TIME \@ "dd/MM/yyyy" }

You can use the replace function in a batch process to replace these with

{ CREATEDATE \@ "dd/MM/yyyy" }

then update them to reflect the original dates. The following code will do
that (provided the fields have been entered as described and have the
standard automatic syntax.) Test on sample documents placed in a new folder
for the purpose.

Use the following in conjunction with the instructions for the code on which
the code is based at http://www.gmayor.com/batch_replace.htm

Public Sub BatchReplaceDATEField()

Dim FirstLoop As Boolean
Dim myFile As String
Dim PathToUse As String
Dim MyDoc As Document
Dim rngstory As Word.Range
Dim findText As Variant
Dim Replacement As Variant
Dim i As Long

With Dialogs(wdDialogCopyFile)
If .Display 0 Then
PathToUse = .Directory
Else
MsgBox "Cancelled by User"
Exit Sub
End If
End With

If Documents.Count 0 Then
Documents.Close SaveChanges:=wdPromptToSaveChanges
End If

FirstLoop = True

If Left(PathToUse, 1) = Chr(34) Then
PathToUse = Mid(PathToUse, 2, Len(PathToUse) - 2)
End If

myFile = Dir$(PathToUse & "*.doc")

While myFile ""
If FirstLoop = True Then
findText = Array(" TIME \@", " DATE \@")
End If
TryAgain:
Replacement = " CREATEDATE \@"
FirstLoop = False
Set MyDoc = Documents.Open(PathToUse & myFile)
ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = True
MakeHFValid
For Each rngstory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
Do
With Selection.Find
For i = LBound(findText) To UBound(findText)
.Text = findText(i)
.Replacement.Text = Replacement
SearchAndReplaceInStory rngstory, findText(i), Replacement
Next i
End With
Set rngstory = rngstory.NextStoryRange
Loop Until rngstory Is Nothing
Next
ActiveDocument.PrintPreview
ActiveDocument.ClosePrintPreview
ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = False
MyDoc.Close SaveChanges:=wdSaveChanges
myFile = Dir$()
Wend
End Sub

Public Sub SearchAndReplaceInStory(ByVal rngstory As Word.Range, _
ByVal strSearch As String, _
ByVal strReplace As String)
'This routine supplied by Peter Hewett
Do Until (rngstory Is Nothing)
With rngstory.Find
.ClearFormatting
.Replacement.ClearFormatting
.Text = strSearch
.Replacement.Text = strReplace
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.Execute replace:=wdReplaceAll
End With
Set rngstory = rngstory.NextStoryRange
Loop
End Sub

Public Sub MakeHFValid()
'And this too
Dim lngJunk As Long
' It does not matter whether we access the Headers or Footers property.
' The critical part is accessing the stories range object
lngJunk = ActiveDocument.Sections(1).Headers(1).Range.StoryT ype
End Sub