Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Zeemboomba Zeemboomba is offline

Default Delete a word from dictionary

I accidentally added a word in the dictionary while spellchecking. How can I
remove this word now?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/EditCustomDic.htm

http://word.mvps.org

"Zeemboomba" wrote in message
I accidentally added a word in the dictionary while spellchecking. How can
remove this word now?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
shawn shawn is offline

I am not sure which version of Word you are using, but I am using Word 2007.

What you do here is click the Microsoft Office Button (circle in top left
corner with logo in it) and goto Word Options. From there goto Proofing and
Custom Dictionaries. In there select the custom dictionary you would like to
edit. Mine is defaulted to custom.dic. Now select Edit Word List.

"Zeemboomba" wrote in message
I accidentally added a word in the dictionary while spellchecking. How can
remove this word now?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Zeemboomba Zeemboomba is offline

I should have been more specific on my situation. I am using Word 2007.

The solution you have proposed is true for most situations. I am facing a
slightly different scenario.

My default dictionary is English (US). I am preparing some documents in
English (UK). There are some words that are spelt differently - e.g. realize
(in US) and realise (in UK). Even when I have set the language to English
(UK) the spell check ignores the US spelling and accepts it as valid. If I
introduce a deliberate error and write "realze" without the i, spellcheck
offers both realize and realise to choose from. I assumed that the English
(UK) dictionary has both words and thought I may have added it in there at
some time. What should I do in this situation?

"shawn" wrote:

I am not sure which version of Word you are using, but I am using Word 2007.

What you do here is click the Microsoft Office Button (circle in top left
corner with logo in it) and goto Word Options. From there goto Proofing and
Custom Dictionaries. In there select the custom dictionary you would like to
edit. Mine is defaulted to custom.dic. Now select Edit Word List.

"Zeemboomba" wrote in message
I accidentally added a word in the dictionary while spellchecking. How can
remove this word now?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

In English UK both ...ize and ...ise are acceptable, though clearly you
should stick to a standard throughout. Other American spellings eg color and
center have different spelling in UK English and the UK disctionary should
flag them as incorrect.

You can use an exclude dictionary to exclude those variable spellings you
want marked as wrong.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/wo...892021033.aspx

"shawn" wrote:

I am not sure which version of Word you are using, but I am using
Word 2007.

What you do here is click the Microsoft Office Button (circle in top
left corner with logo in it) and goto Word Options. From there goto
Proofing and Custom Dictionaries. In there select the custom
dictionary you would like to edit. Mine is defaulted to custom.dic.
Now select Edit Word List.

"Zeemboomba" wrote in message
I accidentally added a word in the dictionary while spellchecking.
How can I
remove this word now?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In that case you're not wanting to remove a word you "accidentally" added
but to exclude a word that is part of the default lexicon; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Ex...ordFromDic.htm