Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
daninatl

Default Getting 2 minute delay each day I start Word2003 - 1st time only.

I have a new computer with XP Pro and just loaded Office 2003 Student
/Teacher version. Everything is working ok except the first time I load MS
Word I get a significant delay (about 2 mins) where the system seems to be
doingsomething but I cant type anything. Then, the cursor appears and I can
begin typing. While Im waiting, the entire screen is open, but just no
cursor??? I have tried disabling A/V and working offline entirely. Ive
checked for virus/spyware problems.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier

Are you running Norton or Symantec? If so, just because you disabled
the AntiVirus it does not mean that you disabled the plug-in. See:
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/P...cle.asp?ID=109 &
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...a?OpenDocument

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies and
questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn as well.

"daninatl" wrote in message
I have a new computer with XP Pro and just loaded Office 2003 Student
/Teacher version. Everything is working ok except the first time I
load MS
Word I get a significant delay (about 2 mins) where the system seems
to be
doingsomething but I cant type anything. Then, the cursor appears
and I can
begin typing. While Im waiting, the entire screen is open, but
just no
cursor??? I have tried disabling A/V and working offline entirely.
Ive
checked for virus/spyware problems.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I can also attest that just disabling the plug-in may not help. I recently
installed a retail copy of NAV 2006 (instead of just renewing my
subscription this year), and between NAV and ZoneAlarm Pro, Word is
incredibly sludgy, especially starting up the first time. I think part of
this is that, even though I no longer see an hour glass after Windows loads,
and it appears that I'm good to go, NAV and ZAP are still doing something
behind the scenes and won't let me start anything else till they're done
(NAV even pops up a little message that assures me that everything is in
good order sigh). I try to remember to go make the bed or something after
pressing the power button on the CPU so that I don't get impatient about

"daninatl" wrote in message
I have a new computer with XP Pro and just loaded Office 2003 Student
/Teacher version. Everything is working ok except the first time I
load MS
Word I get a significant delay (about 2 mins) where the system seems
to be
doingsomething but I cant type anything. Then, the cursor appears
and I can
begin typing. While Im waiting, the entire screen is open, but
just no
cursor??? I have tried disabling A/V and working offline entirely.
Ive
checked for virus/spyware problems.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Al

"?B?ZGFuaW5hdGw=?=" wrote in
:

I have a new computer with XP Pro and just loaded Office 2003 Student
/Teacher version. Everything is working ok except the first time I
load MS Word I get a significant delay (about 2 mins) where the system
seems to be doingsomething but I cant type anything. Then, the
cursor appears and I can begin typing. While Im waiting, the entire
screen is open, but just no cursor??? I have tried disabling A/V and
working offline entirely. Ive checked for virus/spyware problems.

I also installed Office 2003 Student/Teacher and had the same problem. I
got a different respons whenever I am not hooked up to the internet. I
think if you have internet access active, Word is comunicating with
Microsoft.
When I first installed it, my firewall would not allow the outbound message
so Word would not start.