Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
HP

Default HOW do I get RID OF those red and/or green squiggly underlines??

HOW do I rid a document of those green or red squiggled underlines that MS
Word puts in as its own "take" on either the spelling of a word or the usage?
I know the document doesn't PRINT them, but I want the recipient who opens
it up on their screen when I send it as an attachment to NOT see these!
HELP! It's driving me nutty! [Thank you ]
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:53:02 -0800, "HP"
wrote:

HOW do I rid a document of those green or red squiggled underlines that MS
Word puts in as its own "take" on either the spelling of a word or the usage?
I know the document doesn't PRINT them, but I want the recipient who opens
it up on their screen when I send it as an attachment to NOT see these!
HELP! It's driving me nutty! [Thank you ]

If you're determined to throw away whatever help Word can give you to
prevent sending out misspelled documents, you can select everything,
go to Tools Language Set Language, and check the box for "Do not
check spelling or grammar". I'd suggest you don't do this until you've
run the spelling checker on the whole document at least once.

The grammar checker, I'll agree, is pretty pathetic. You can kill that
off by going to Tools Options Spelling & Grammar and unchecking
the box for "Check grammar with spelling".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To prevent the markings from being displayed in any document on your machine
(while retaining your ability to spell check the document manually), disable
"Check spelling/grammar as you type" on the Spelling and Grammar tab of
Tools | Options.

To prevent the markings from being displayed in a specific document on any
machine, choose "Hide spelling/grammatical errors in this document" on the

"HP" wrote in message
HOW do I rid a document of those green or red squiggled underlines that MS
Word puts in as its own "take" on either the spelling of a word or the

usage?
I know the document doesn't PRINT them, but I want the recipient who

opens
it up on their screen when I send it as an attachment to NOT see these!
HELP! It's driving me nutty! [Thank you ]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jahyde jahyde is offline

I have specifically confirmed that HIDE SPELLING ERRORS is NOT selected, but
Word does NOT show me spelling errors on screen in new documents. How can I
fix this?

"HP" wrote:

HOW do I rid a document of those green or red squiggled underlines that MS
Word puts in as its own "take" on either the spelling of a word or the usage?
I know the document doesn't PRINT them, but I want the recipient who opens
it up on their screen when I send it as an attachment to NOT see these!
HELP! It's driving me nutty! [Thank you ]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's not clear whether "HP" and "jahyde" are complaining about the
same thing. Whether to underline spelling and grammar errors may be a
function of each individual computer, so it may be that HP can't
control what other people see when they open HP's documents.

If jahyde _wants_ to see spelling and grammar errors marked with
squiggles, then jahyde should go to the Options area (which version of
Word?) and choose the "Check spelling and grammar" options. In
Word2007, it's Office button Word options Proofing "Check
spelling as you type" (in the middle of the screen) and "Mark grammar
errors as you type."

"HP" wrote:
HOW do I rid a document of those green or red squiggled underlines that MS
Word puts in as its own "take" on either the spelling of a word or the usage?
*I know the document doesn't PRINT them, but I want the recipient who opens
it up on their screen when I send it as an attachment to NOT see these! *
HELP! *It's driving me nutty! [Thank you ]-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The text is probably formatted as "Do not check spelling or grammar." See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/MasterSpellCheck.htm

http://word.mvps.org