Eric G

Default Problems with setting tabs accurately (metric)

XPP SP2

Office Word 2003 SP1

Since I live in Europe (Sweden) I work in metric units and have set my system Measurements to metric. In Word under Options - General, I have set my Measurement units to Centimeters. When check my Paragraph settings (Format - Paragraph) all measurements are showing in centimeters. In my styles, all measurements show in centimeters.

But, when I click on the ruler in Word to set a new tab position, the system attempts to set new tabs according to the imperial (inch) measurement system, i.e. when clicking on 3 cm, the actual tab ends up at 2.86 cm, when the ruler is clicked at 4 cm, the tab ends up at 4.13 cm. When tabs are set from the menu, Format - Tabs, I can chose any measurement I like, e.g. 1 or 5 cm and the tab stays at the desired position.

Any ideas how I can overcome this inconvenience?

Best regards,

Eric G

Stockholm, Sweden

Graham Mayor

Use ALT drag to set the toolbar tabs to any position.

I think you'll find the issue you describe is related to the default grid
(set from the drawing toolbar draw grid)

"Eric G" wrote in message

[...]

Eric G

Graham,

Quite right, quite right. It appears as if it actually is the drawing grid
(the default Grid setting, horizontal and vertical, is by default set to
0.32 cm) that controls the default tab "snap-in-place". I changed the
default Grid setting to 0.5 cm on the Draw toolbar, and then the tab
settings on the ruler worked fine.

However, using Alt-Left Click on the ruler to set the tabs yielded the same
result as just left clicking on the ruler (even though you actually can see
the exact tab setting measurement), as the tab snapped to the default
measurement. But as I said, changing the default grid setting worked
wonders.

Many thanks for you speedy assistance.

Best regards,

Eric G