Default Page numbering almost invisible

We have started using MS Word 2000 (being forced to use it because with
our new network software WordPerfect keeps crashing).

The page numbers are so dimmed as to be almost invisible. I really
have to squint.

I click on the page number, that shaded square appears, and I change
"Font Color" (the "A" button on the upper right) to black, but this
doesn't help.

Also, I go to the "Page Numbering" Style, go to Format -- Font, change
the font color to black, and that doesn't help either.

Any help would be appreciated. It is important to see how the page
number appears.

Thanks very much for your quick replies. I know you do this for free
and I am grateful.
(The answer is disappointing -- it means that to remember what page I'm
on, I have to either continually click onto Print Preview, or clutter
the screen with the status bar -- but that's just the fault of
Microsoft, of course.)

The status bar tells you where you are in the document. I always know
that. In WordPerfect, if I forgot what page I was on, I could simply
hop down a few lines to the end of the page. Now I have to add the
status bar, which takes up space, and except for the page number,
clutters the screen with useless info.

Daiya Mitchell

I consider it a waste of space too. But I never care what page I am on until
I am ready to print, and then I check print preview.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

It also tells you whether you have Track Changes enabled or have
accidentally kicked into Overtype mode and various other "status" issues
including saving and printing. For documents with more than one section, it
can be an invaluable troubleshooting tool.

wrote in message
ups.com...
The status bar tells you where you are in the document. I always know
that. In WordPerfect, if I forgot what page I was on, I could simply
hop down a few lines to the end of the page. Now I have to add the
status bar, which takes up space, and except for the page number,
clutters the screen with useless info.

Page Numbering Kathy Microsoft Word Help 1 February 3rd 05 04:08 PM
Worrd2003: Header/Footer Odd/Even Pages Page Numbering Section Br Reenie Page Layout 1 January 7th 05 03:15 PM
Need help "fooling" Word with Page Numbering jdkelley Microsoft Word Help 1 December 13th 04 10:26 PM
page numbering jeanne Page Layout 4 December 3rd 04 08:47 AM
Footer needs non standard page numbering. Tom Ross Page Layout 1 November 23rd 04 06:55 PM