Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bojserkis

Default How do I separate foot/endnote numbers with a comma?

In writing reports with a lot of footnotes I find, despite what the
formatting choices show, that the superscript numbers are not separated by
commas. E.g., instead of 14,15,16, I am getting 141516. How do I correct
this?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I separate foot/endnote numbers with a comma?

How to separate foot/endnote numbers with a comma in Microsoft Word
  1. Open your document and go to the References tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  2. Click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of the Footnotes section to open the Footnote and Endnote dialog box.
  3. In the dialog box, click on the Format button in the bottom left corner.
  4. In the Number format section, you should see a box labeled After number. By default, this box is probably blank.
  5. To add a comma after the footnote number, simply type a comma into the After number box.
  6. Click OK to save your changes and close the dialog box.

That's it! Your foot/endnote numbers should now be separated by commas. If you have any other formatting issues or questions, feel free to ask.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

If you want commas, you'll have to type them in. In the footnote
options, commas are used as separators; they will never be inserted by
Word.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"bojserkis" wrote in message
In writing reports with a lot of footnotes I find, despite what the
formatting choices show, that the superscript numbers are not
separated by
commas. E.g., instead of 14,15,16, I am getting 141516. How do I
correct
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bojserkis

If I type the commas in they do not come out as superscript, but as regular
font size and placement. Do you mean I have to reformat every comma as 8pt
and superscript? There must be a better way to do it.