Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Louise

Default Vertical scrollbar

Hi all

My vertical scrollbar disappeared from my screen for no reason so I went
into Tools, Options, View and ticked the relevant box. However, every time I
use Word, I have to go into here because it's disappeared again.

This has only started happening the past few weeks and I don't know why.
How do I ask it keep the toolbar there by default so I don't have to keep
doing this?

Thank you.

Louise
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Word 2003 particularly has a habit of losing some of the settings in tools
options. Some users have reported that resetting the Word data key in the
registry fixes it, but it didn't work for me and I have found the only
reliable solution is to force Word to use the settings I want in auto
executing macros. In this case adding the line

ActiveWindow.DisplayVerticalScrollBar = True

to both an autopen and an autonew macro in normal.dot will ensuse that it is
correct for each document. FWIW I have the following options set on my PC,
which cover the problems that would otherwise cause me some concern. Feel
free to adapt to your own requirements.

Sub AutoNew()
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.DisplayRulers = True
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.ShowAll = False
ActiveWindow.DisplayHorizontalScrollBar = True
ActiveWindow.DisplayVerticalScrollBar = True
With ActiveWindow.View
.Type = wdPrintView
'.Type = wdNormalView
.Zoom.Percentage = 500
.Zoom.Percentage = 100
.FieldShading = wdFieldShadingWhenSelected
.ShowFieldCodes = False
.DisplayPageBoundaries = True
.ShowDrawings = True
End With
CommandBars("Reviewing").Visible = False
CommandBars("Drawing").Visible = False
CommandBars("Forms").Visible = False
End Sub

Sub AutoOpen()
ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveDocument.FullName
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.DisplayRulers = True
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.ShowAll = False
ActiveWindow.DisplayHorizontalScrollBar = True
ActiveWindow.DisplayVerticalScrollBar = True
With ActiveWindow.View
.Type = wdPrintView
.Zoom.Percentage = 500
.Zoom.Percentage = 100
.FieldShading = wdFieldShadingWhenSelected
.ShowFieldCodes = False
.DisplayPageBoundaries = True
.ShowDrawings = True
End With
End Sub

Sub AutoExec()
CommandBars("Reviewing").Visible = False
CommandBars("Drawing").Visible = False
CommandBars("Forms").Visible = False
CommandBars("Mail Merge").Visible = False
Application.OnTime _
When:=Now + TimeValue("00:00:01"), Name:="CodesOff"
End Sub
Sub CodesOff()
On Error GoTo oops
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.ShowAll = False
oops:
End Sub

Louise wrote:
Hi all

My vertical scrollbar disappeared from my screen for no reason so I
went into Tools, Options, View and ticked the relevant box. However,
every time I use Word, I have to go into here because it's
disappeared again.

This has only started happening the past few weeks and I don't know
why.
How do I ask it keep the toolbar there by default so I don't have to
keep doing this?

Thank you.

Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Louise

Blimey, I had no idea that such a simple problem is so hard to fix!!

thanks very much for this, I'll see if I can create the macros.

Louise

Louise wrote:
Hi all

My vertical scrollbar disappeared from my screen for no reason so I
went into Tools, Options, View and ticked the relevant box. However,
every time I use Word, I have to go into here because it's
disappeared again.

This has only started happening the past few weeks and I don't know
why.
How do I ask it keep the toolbar there by default so I don't have to
keep doing this?

Thank you.

Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What have you changed in the past few weeks? Have you installed other
software, especially anything that might include a Word add-in? Add-ins are
notorious for changing settings. Even if this is the problem, knowing that
probably won't help unless the add-in is one you can afford to discard, so
Graham's macro will be what you need.

"Louise" wrote in message
Hi all

My vertical scrollbar disappeared from my screen for no reason so I went
into Tools, Options, View and ticked the relevant box. However, every

time I
use Word, I have to go into here because it's disappeared again.

This has only started happening the past few weeks and I don't know why.
How do I ask it keep the toolbar there by default so I don't have to keep
doing this?

Thank you.

Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Louise

Nothing has been changed/added in the last few weeks. The PC itself was
re-built but that was about 8 weeks ago and this toolbar problem has only
started the past week.

Thanks all for your help.

Vertical text katy New Users 2 September 13th 05 03:52 AM
How do I add vertical lines to make customiz'd columns in a box? Deloby3 (DKB) New Users 1 May 11th 05 02:22 PM
Equation Editor: Parentheses disappeared, leaving Vertical Fractio ilham Microsoft Word Help 2 April 3rd 05 03:07 PM
Vertical line--leaving line and losing the box Chad Harris New Users 1 February 1st 05 04:50 AM
How can I restore my vertical margins? antizimbo Page Layout 1 December 13th 04 05:03 AM