Chris

Default How to install Arial Unicode font?

I need to deal with some documents that have a very wide variety of Unicode
characters. I've read that the most complete font for these characters is
Arial Unicode MS, which is ARIALUNI.TTF.

I can't figure out where to find it. I read that it exists only in MS
Office. I have Office 2003 Professional. It wasn't obvious how to get the
installer to install it.

Jay Freedman

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 19:07:07 -0500, "Chris" anon wrote:

I need to deal with some documents that have a very wide variety of Unicode
characters. I've read that the most complete font for these characters is
Arial Unicode MS, which is ARIALUNI.TTF.

I can't figure out where to find it. I read that it exists only in MS
Office. I have Office 2003 Professional. It wasn't obvious how to get the
installer to install it.

Hi Chris,

In the Control Panel, start up Add/Remove Programs, select the Office
item, and click the Change button. Select "Add or Remove Features". On
the next page, check the box for advanced customization. On the third
page, expand the Office Shared Features icon, click the Fonts item,
and select "Run all from my computer". Click the Update button. It may
or may not request the original CD.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Stan Brown

Sat, 29 Oct 2005 19:07:07 -0500 from "Chris" anon:
I need to deal with some documents that have a very wide variety of Unicode
characters. I've read that the most complete font for these characters is
Arial Unicode MS, which is ARIALUNI.TTF.

I can't figure out where to find it. I read that it exists only in MS
Office. I have Office 2003 Professional. It wasn't obvious how to get the
installer to install it.

I'm pretty sure Arial Unicode comes with XP; since you have Word 2003
I assume you have Windows XP. (My Arial Unicode font is called plain
old "Arial" and the file is ARIAL.TTF, 359 KB.)

Open up Character Map, select the Arial font, select "Unicode" in the
"Character Set" drop-down, and you should see zillions of characters.
If not, I'm not sure what to tell you.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Chris

I need to deal with some documents that have a very wide variety of
Unicode
characters. I've read that the most complete font for these characters is
Arial Unicode MS, which is ARIALUNI.TTF.

I can't figure out where to find it. I read that it exists only in MS
Office. I have Office 2003 Professional. It wasn't obvious how to get the
installer to install it.

In the Control Panel, start up Add/Remove Programs, select the Office
item, and click the Change button. Select "Add or Remove Features". On
the next page, check the box for advanced customization. On the third
page, expand the Office Shared Features icon, click the Fonts item,
and select "Run all from my computer". Click the Update button. It may
or may not request the original CD.

Thanks. That did install some extra fonts, but not Arial Unicode MS. Maybe
it doesn't exist, or as the other person who responded said, is simply name
Arial.

Chris

I need to deal with some documents that have a very wide variety of
Unicode
characters. I've read that the most complete font for these characters is
Arial Unicode MS, which is ARIALUNI.TTF.

I can't figure out where to find it. I read that it exists only in MS
Office. I have Office 2003 Professional. It wasn't obvious how to get the
installer to install it.

I'm pretty sure Arial Unicode comes with XP; since you have Word 2003
I assume you have Windows XP. (My Arial Unicode font is called plain
old "Arial" and the file is ARIAL.TTF, 359 KB.)

Open up Character Map, select the Arial font, select "Unicode" in the
"Character Set" drop-down, and you should see zillions of characters.
If not, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Thanks. I do see lots of characters, but not all of them. When I attempt to
display all 65,000 basic, 16-bit Unicode characters on a web page using
regular Arial, a large percentage of them aren't there. According to the
Unicode site (http://www.unicode.org/help/display_problems.html) the Arial
Unicode MS font should be reasonably complete.

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Chris,

When you're in the Add/Remove Features tree for MS Office 2003
use the Office Shared Features=International Support=Universal Font
to see if that gives you the missing piece.

====
"Chris" anon wrote in message ...
Thanks. That did install some extra fonts, but not Arial Unicode MS. Maybe
it doesn't exist, or as the other person who responded said, is simply name
Arial.
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

Jay Freedman

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 09:37:09 -0600, "Chris" anon wrote:

[...]

According to
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...e+MS&FVER=1.01
the Arial Unicode MS font does ship with Office 2003 Professional. The
installer should put it on your system.

If you have the font installed on another system, you can copy the
file arialuni.ttf from the Windows\fonts folder to the same location
on your computer. It's about 22.1 MB.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Stan Brown

Sun, 30 Oct 2005 12:45:32 -0500 from Jay Freedman
:
According to
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...e+MS&FVER=1.01
the Arial Unicode MS font does ship with Office 2003 Professional. The
installer should put it on your system.

Weird. I've got Office 2003 Pro, and I don't have a font called Arial
Unicode; my Arial is under 1 MB.

(I do have a bunch of unwanted giant fonts like @Batang and Dotum,
even though I have East Asian support turned off.)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 16:44:29 -0500, Stan Brown
wrote:

Sun, 30 Oct 2005 12:45:32 -0500 from Jay Freedman
:
According to
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...e+MS&FVER=1.01
the Arial Unicode MS font does ship with Office 2003 Professional. The
installer should put it on your system.

Weird. I've got Office 2003 Pro, and I don't have a font called Arial
Unicode; my Arial is under 1 MB.

(I do have a bunch of unwanted giant fonts like @Batang and Dotum,
even though I have East Asian support turned off.)

My sincere apologies! I was in the right ballpark but I had the wrong
bat....

When you get into the installer and expand the Office Shared Features
icon, go down to the International Support item, expand it, and choose
the Universal Font item to install.

The correct procedure is at the end of this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q287247.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Jim

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 09:41:38 -0600, "Chris" anon wrote:

Thanks. I do see lots of characters, but not all of them. When I attempt to
display all 65,000 basic, 16-bit Unicode characters on a web page using
regular Arial, a large percentage of them aren't there. According to the
Unicode site (http://www.unicode.org/help/display_problems.html) the Arial
Unicode MS font should be reasonably complete.

How complete is reasonable? In my fonts directory, arial.ttf has a
size listed as 367,112 while arialuni.ttf is a whopping 23,274,522.
This is several orders of magnitude greater than arial, but I daresay
it isn't complete.

Blessed be, for sure...

Chris

My sincere apologies! I was in the right ballpark but I had the wrong
bat....

When you get into the installer and expand the Office Shared Features
icon, go down to the International Support item, expand it, and choose
the Universal Font item to install.

The correct procedure is at the end of this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q287247.

Thanks. That worked. Perfect.