Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
john gibb john gibb is offline

Default 'Tools-Language-Set Language-Do not check spelling or grammar' does not work on the entire document

Hi,

I need to Spell/Grammar check documents that may have sections in which:

Tools-Language-Set Language-Do not check spelling or grammar

had been enabled.

I want to disable it in order to recheck spelling and grammar.

However, I find that I can only disable this feature on pieces of the
document, not on the entire doc at once. (I am having to select individual
tables for example.)

Am I doing something wrong by:

a) Edit-Select All
b) Tools-Language-Set Language
c) unchecking 'Do not check spelling or grammar' so that it WILL check
spelling and grammar

?

thanks,

-john

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: 'Tools-Language-Set Language-Do not check spelling or grammar' does not work on the entire document

Hi John,

It sounds like you're on the right track, but there might be a simpler solution. Here's what you can try:
  1. Go to the "Review" tab in the ribbon.
  2. Click on "Language" in the "Proofing" section.
  3. Select "Set Proofing Language" from the dropdown menu.
  4. Uncheck the box next to "Do not check spelling or grammar".
  5. Click "OK" to apply the changes.

This should disable the "Do not check spelling or grammar" option for the entire document. If you still find that certain sections are not being checked, you can try selecting those sections and repeating the above steps.
__________________

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

But note that if the selection includes text with the setting on as
well as text with the setting turned off, the check mark will be grey.
This means that the first click activates the setting, and a second
click is required to turn it off for all text.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
This should be working.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"john gibb" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
john gibb john gibb is offline

Hi Stefan and Suzanne,

Thanks for looking at this problem.

Stefan, yes, the check mark is usually grey and I have to click it twice in
order to attempt to disable the checking.

In fact, I would say that it is this checkbox which is broken. Because, even
if I leave it unchecked, thereby asking for it to perform the checking, and
then click OK to leave the dialog, when I reenter the dialog, the checkbox
has gone back to being greyed.

Any other thoughts?

FWIW I am using Word 2003 (11.6568.6568) SP2.

thanks,

-john

"john gibb" wrote in message
[...]

Roger Over Roger Over is offline
Junior Member

I've seen this behaviour on many documents in the past. In Word 2010 the problem persists:

1. Select all text in the document using Ctrl-a
2. Review - Language - Set proofing language
3. Uncheck the "Do not check spelling or grammar" check box
4. Press OK.
5. Repeat steps 1-2 and observe that the check box is still gray.

Does anyone have a foolproof solution to this issue? I still don't know if any of the document is disabled for spell checking -- I hope not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post
A grey check means that the selected text has mixed formatting. Are you sure
you're selecting all the text in the document before clearing the check box?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] mackmans51@gmail.com is offline

http://tutorialway.com/check-spellin...icrosoft-word/
arasa arasa is offline
Junior Member

Ive been struggling with this issue for like 19 semanas, i mean, since i started my documment,just wanted to say thank you, this was really helpful
afjt afjt is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arasa View Post
Ive been struggling with this issue for like 19 semanas, i mean, since i started my documment,just wanted to say thank you, this was really helpful
I know, been having the same issue, tried to look it up online but it all seem like a trabalenguas to me

tuulikki tuulikki is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john gibb View Post
[...]

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"john gibb" wrote in message
hlink.net....
bullet force
[...]

A grey check identifies that the selected text has mixed formatting