#1   Report Post  

Default Can I mail merge each record into multiple rows with 3 records per page?

I'm trying to mail merge data from Excel into a Word document that is laid out as a table with 3 columns and 12 rows (i.e., 36 cells total in the Word document). The spacing needs to be precise because the page is then die cut with a metal plate of a fixed shape. The challenge is that each record in Excel has 12 fields, which I want to populate vertically in each column - one field's data per row going down the page. Then I want the next record to start at the top of the next column with the 12 fields of data arranged vertically down the second column. Then again for the 3rd column in the Word document. This would be easy if I just had 3 columns and 1 row, but I need each field of each record in its own table cell so that data of varying lengths doesn't mess up the vertical spacing for fields lower down the page.

The problem is that Word reads the Next Record tag at the top of the 2nd and 3rd columns before returning the remaining 11 fields of data for the first record. It's reading my table cells left to right instead of top to bottom in each column. Is there a way to do this? Perhaps with text boxes instead of table rows? Any help or pointers to more information would be much appreciated as I can't seem to find anyone else with this same issue.