Jamie Bull Jamie Bull is offline
Junior Member

Default Lost Cross-Reference dialog box

I was trying to record a macro to open the Insert Cross reference dialog box (before realising that setting a custom keyboard shortcut was a better approach to take). Somehow I've managed to set things up so that when I click the button on the Ribbon (either via ReferencesCaptionsCross-reference or via InsertLinksCross-reference), or when I use the Altetc.etc. keyboard shortcuts, the paragraph number of the first section is added without bringing up the dialog box.

Is there a way of resetting this to normal behaviour?

In case it's relevant, this is the macro as recorded.

Code:
Sub InsertCrossReference()
'
' InsertCrossReference Macro
'
    Selection.InsertCrossReference ReferenceType:="Numbered item", _
        ReferenceKind:=wdNumberRelativeContext, ReferenceItem:="1", _
        InsertAsHyperlink:=True, IncludePosition:=False, SeparateNumbers:=False, _
        SeparatorString:=" "
End Sub
Thanks in advance.
Jamie Bull Jamie Bull is offline
Junior Member

I've answered my own question - answer here in case some other unfortunate manages to cause the same problem for themselves.

InsertCross-reference was calling the recorded macro for some reason. The solution was to delete the recorded macro, and now normal service has been resumed!

By the way, is it normal for recorded macros to "over-ride" default behaviour of Ribbon items in MS Word?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Since the macro is called "InsertCrossReference" it overrides the built-in
InsertCrossReference command. To fix this, either rename the sub or remove it
completely.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jamie Bull" wrote in message ...

I was trying to record a macro to open the Insert Cross reference dialog
box (before realising that setting a custom keyboard shortcut was a
better approach to take). Somehow I've managed to set things up so that
when I click the button on the Ribbon (either via
ReferencesCaptionsCross-reference or via
InsertLinksCross-reference), or when I use the Altetc.etc. keyboard
shortcuts, the paragraph number of the first section is added without
bringing up the dialog box.

Is there a way of resetting this to normal behaviour?

In case it's relevant, this is the macro as recorded.

Code:
Sub InsertCrossReference()
'