Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
cran cran is offline

Default How do I save a file in MS Word in mthe preferred view say Print V

Have somehow saved a file in a view that does not show the header in the
opening view, but when View Print Layout is selected the document is
seen fully. Since this document is sent to various places, unless the
instructions are given to open in print layout it is seen in the reading
layout format. Please help!

Am using Offfice Professional 2003!
--
cran
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

cran wrote:
Have somehow saved a file in a view that does not show the header in
the opening view, but when View Print Layout is selected the
document is seen fully. Since this document is sent to various
places, unless the instructions are given to open in print layout it
is seen in the reading layout format. Please help!

Am using Offfice Professional 2003!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Word documents always open in the view in which they were saved UNLESS (a)
the document is opened directly from an email attachment and (b) the
recipient has "Allow starting in Reading Layout" enabled on the General tab
of Tools | Options. Opening in Reading Layout can cause some specific
problems (especially associated with TOCs). You therefore have three

1. Suggest that recipients not open documents directly from attachments
(good luck with this).

2. Suggest that recipients disable Reading Layout view (many of them may
thank you for the information on how to do this).

3. If there are TOC problems opening in Reading Layout, advise recipients to
switch to Print Layout view and then update the TOC.

"cran" wrote in message
Have somehow saved a file in a view that does not show the header in the
opening view, but when View Print Layout is selected the document is
seen fully. Since this document is sent to various places, unless the
instructions are given to open in print layout it is seen in the reading
layout format. Please help!

Am using Offfice Professional 2003!
--
cran

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Johnbax Johnbax is offline

Default How do I save a file in MS Word in mthe preferred view say Pri

It is not true that 'word documents always open in the view in which they
were saved'. If I open a file that has been saved in 'normal' view, convert
it to 'print layout view' and save it, it will continue to open in 'normal'.
There appears to be no way of dealing with this.

"cran" wrote in message
Have somehow saved a file in a view that does not show the header in the
opening view, but when View Print Layout is selected the document is
seen fully. Since this document is sent to various places, unless the
instructions are given to open in print layout it is seen in the reading
layout format. Please help!

Am using Offfice Professional 2003!
--
cran

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

That rather depends on what else you change in the document before saving
it. Merely changing the view is not sufficient change to record as a change
to be saved. You can force any view with auto running macros see

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Word documents always open in the view in which they were saved
UNLESS (a) the document is opened directly from an email attachment
and (b) the recipient has "Allow starting in Reading Layout" enabled
on the General tab of Tools | Options. Opening in Reading Layout can
cause some specific problems (especially associated with TOCs). You
therefore have three options:

1. Suggest that recipients not open documents directly from
attachments (good luck with this).

2. Suggest that recipients disable Reading Layout view (many of them
may thank you for the information on how to do this).

3. If there are TOC problems opening in Reading Layout, advise
recipients to switch to Print Layout view and then update the TOC.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"cran" wrote in message
Have somehow saved a file in a view that does not show the header
in the opening view, but when View Print Layout is selected
the document is seen fully. Since this document is sent to various
places, unless the instructions are given to open in print layout
it is seen in the reading layout format. Please help!

Am using Offfice Professional 2003!
--
cran

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Johnbax Johnbax is offline

The answer is (I have just found) that if you want to change the view of the
document without editing it, you should do 'save as', selecting the same file
name, and then close the document. That way the new view will be saved with
the document. Surprising that it doesn't say this in 'Help', but just says
(incorrectly) that the new view will be saved automatically.

"cran" wrote in message
Have somehow saved a file in a view that does not show the header
in the opening view, but when View Print Layout is selected
the document is seen fully. Since this document is sent to various
places, unless the instructions are given to open in print layout
it is seen in the reading layout format. Please help!

Am using Offfice Professional 2003!
--
cran

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

As noted in http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/SaveViewAndZoom.htm, you need
to make some other change. You don't have to use Save As; a "phantom edit"
such as Spacebar, Backspace will accomplish the same thing.

"cran" wrote in message
Have somehow saved a file in a view that does not show the header
in the opening view, but when View Print Layout is selected
the document is seen fully. Since this document is sent to various
places, unless the instructions are given to open in print layout
it is seen in the reading layout format. Please help!

Am using Offfice Professional 2003!
--
cran

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It is not necessary to 'save as' to apply the setting. What is necessary is
to have a change in the document that Word sees as something to save. Simply
inserting a character in the document and then deleting it would have the
required effect and then Save will save the 'change' and the view. If you
have a Createdate date field in the document, SaveAs will produce the
unwanted side effect of updating the field to the current date.

running macros see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Word documents always open in the view in which they were saved
UNLESS (a) the document is opened directly from an email attachment
and (b) the recipient has "Allow starting in Reading Layout"
enabled on the General tab of Tools | Options. Opening in Reading
Layout can cause some specific problems (especially associated
with TOCs). You therefore have three options: