Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
geotso geotso is offline

Default How long a hyperlink could be?

In Insert Hyperlink dialog box. Is there a limitation on how much characters
can I type in the Text to display and Address fields?

If so, are there any differences between Word XP, 2003 and 2007?

--
Please remove hyphens to contact me
----- --- -- -- -
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"geotso" wrote:

In Insert Hyperlink dialog box. Is there a limitation on how much characters
can I type in the Text to display and Address fields?

If so, are there any differences between Word XP, 2003 and 2007?

I did not find any info regarding that type of limit. For more info on
various limits associated with Word, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211489
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Jean-Guy Marcil wrote:
"geotso" wrote:

In Insert Hyperlink dialog box. Is there a limitation on how much
characters can I type in the Text to display and Address fields?

If so, are there any differences between Word XP, 2003 and 2007?

I did not find any info regarding that type of limit. For more info on
various limits associated with Word, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211489

The (undocumented) limit is 514 characters. We hashed this out in the thread
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...09cc2de1070 d

If you need more than that, the workaround is to use an alias service such
as http://tinyurl.com.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
geotso geotso is offline

then, "Jay Freedman" climbed to the rostrum and said:
Jean-Guy Marcil wrote:
"geotso" wrote:

In Insert Hyperlink dialog box. Is there a limitation on how much
characters can I type in the Text to display and Address fields?

If so, are there any differences between Word XP, 2003 and 2007?

I did not find any info regarding that type of limit. For more info on
various limits associated with Word, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211489

The (undocumented) limit is 514 characters. We hashed this out in the thread
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...09cc2de1070 d

If you need more than that, the workaround is to use an alias service such
as http://tinyurl.com.

Thank you Jay,

The discussion link was very helpful
(I also thought tinyurl.com, but firstly I had to be sure that there wasn't
a workaround in Word)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

The (undocumented) limit is 514 characters. We hashed this out in the thread

Typical... I guess they figured that 514 was sufficiently long so that
nobody would ever go over that limit, so they did not bother to document it...

Thanks Jay.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
geotso geotso is offline

then, "Jean-Guy Marcil" climbed to the rostrum and said:
"Jay Freedman" wrote:

The (undocumented) limit is 514 characters. We hashed this out in the thread

Typical... I guess they figured that 514 was sufficiently long so that
nobody would ever go over that limit, so they did not bother to document it...

Thanks Jay.

However, the number itself is a bit strange for me!
What was the reason to choose the 514? A "binary" choice sounds much better
for me, like 2x2^8=512
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

The (undocumented) limit is 514 characters. We hashed this out in the thread

Typical... I guess they figured that 514 was sufficiently long so that
nobody would ever go over that limit, so they did not bother to document it...

Thanks Jay.

However, the number itself is a bit strange for me!
What was the reason to choose the 514? A "binary" choice sounds much better
for me, like 2x2^8=512

Absolutely! I did have the same thought!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

The (undocumented) limit is 514 characters. We hashed this out in
the thread

Typical... I guess they figured that 514 was sufficiently long so
that
nobody would ever go over that limit, so they did not bother to
document it...

Thanks Jay.

However, the number itself is a bit strange for me!
What was the reason to choose the 514? A "binary" choice sounds
much better for me, like 2x2^8=512

Absolutely! I did have the same thought!

All I know is what I see. shrug It did accept 514 characters. Maybe two of
them are stored in hyperspace.

Someday we need to have a session with the Word product group to crawl
through the code looking for the reasons for things like this. Sure, and
they have nothing better to do... ;-)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Hyperlink Tag-a-long bw New Users 0 August 14th 07 09:46 AM
Mass change hyperlink strings, or use a variable in the hyperlink? Bob Zoller Microsoft Word Help 4 August 6th 06 12:59 AM
hyperlink footnotes in long document to documents on hard drive Mossy Microsoft Word Help 0 February 16th 06 11:59 PM
Word: I create a hyperlink to a pdf. I ctrl-click on hyperlink, . Bruce Microsoft Word Help 0 February 18th 05 03:57 AM