Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry Larry is offline

Default Automatic header for new documents in Word 2007

A friend with Word 2007 wants to have each new document automatically set up
so that it has a header starting at the second page. Years ago Suzanne gave
me instructions on setting this up and I've used it ever since. But the
same approach doesn't seem to work for Word 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers

Almost everything in Word 2007 works the same as in previous versions -
Finding the way to do it though can be a challenge

Create the header that you want to start on the second page on the First
page of the document, then on the Ribbon, select the Page Layout tab and
then click on the arrow at the right hand end of the lower border of the
Page Setup section of the Ribbon and then go to the Layout tab of the Page
Setup dialog and check the Different First Page box and then click on OK.

The header that you had set up will then disappear, to reappear on the
second and subsequent pages of the document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Larry" wrote in message
A friend with Word 2007 wants to have each new document automatically set
up
so that it has a header starting at the second page. Years ago Suzanne
gave
me instructions on setting this up and I've used it ever since. But the
same approach doesn't seem to work for Word 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry Larry is offline

Doug thanks. I wasn't clear in my question. I want to set up the Normal
template so that each new Word document automatically has the header.

Larry

"Larry" wrote in message
A friend with Word 2007 wants to have each new document automatically set
up
so that it has a header starting at the second page. Years ago Suzanne
gave
me instructions on setting this up and I've used it ever since. But the
same approach doesn't seem to work for Word 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

No you don't! The normal template should not have a header/footer as it will
conflict with other functions eg labels. If you want documents with
header/footers, create a new document template and use that to create your
documents, or insert the header footers as required with macro/autotext etc.

"Larry" wrote in message
A friend with Word 2007 wants to have each new document
automatically set up
so that it has a header starting at the second page. Years ago
Suzanne gave
me instructions on setting this up and I've used it ever since.
But the same approach doesn't seem to work for Word 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry Larry is offline

Is this different under 2007 than under 97-2003? In my Word 97, I have a
set up I've had for years, in which there is a header in the normal
template. In any new document that I create, as soon as it has more than
one page, the second page automaticaly has a header.

Conflicts with labels are not a concern here, since the person who needs
this does not use that function.

So, is there anything about 2007 that prevents me from doing what I do with
97?

"Larry" wrote in message
A friend with Word 2007 wants to have each new document
automatically set up
so that it has a header starting at the second page. Years ago
Suzanne gave
me instructions on setting this up and I've used it ever since.
But the same approach doesn't seem to work for Word 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you have Normal.dot set up with "Different first page" and content only
in the Header (not in the First Page Header), this would not pose *as much*
of a problem with labels, since you have to work at it to get more than one
sheet, and when you merge them, each sheet is a separate section (all page
1s, as it were).