Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JulieG JulieG is offline

Default TOC not displaying

I have an odd problem, I have been given a document that has used heading
styles, but when we come to update the TOC, nothing updates and I can't see
why. The first time I tried it asked me if I wanted to overwrite the
existing, but what existing one, there isn't one that I can see.

Can anybody help
Thanks
JulieG
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

What happens if you select the whole document and press F9 (to update fields)?

If you are seeing field codes, such as { TOC \o "1-3" }, instead of fields,
press Alt+F9.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"JulieG" wrote:

I have an odd problem, I have been given a document that has used heading
styles, but when we come to update the TOC, nothing updates and I can't see
why. The first time I tried it asked me if I wanted to overwrite the
existing, but what existing one, there isn't one that I can see.

Can anybody help
Thanks
JulieG

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JulieG JulieG is offline

Hi

Nothing happens, and I'm not seeing anything but when I update TOC is asks
me if I want to overwrite it? This is so strange I've never had this happen
before,

"JulieG" wrote:

I have an odd problem, I have been given a document that has used heading
styles, but when we come to update the TOC, nothing updates and I can't see
why. The first time I tried it asked me if I wanted to overwrite the
existing, but what existing one, there isn't one that I can see.

Can anybody help
Thanks
JulieG

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

See if the TOC styles have been formatted in hidden text (which seems
unlikely, though not impossible). If that doesn't help, display nonprinting
marks (you can press Ctrl+Shift+8) and copy the text, not including the final
paragraph mark (¶) of the document , into a new file. Does that allow you to
create a TOC that works?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"JulieG" wrote:

I have an odd problem, I have been given a document that has used heading
styles, but when we come to update the TOC, nothing updates and I can't see
why. The first time I tried it asked me if I wanted to overwrite the
existing, but what existing one, there isn't one that I can see.

Can anybody help
Thanks
JulieG

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JulieG JulieG is offline

Thanks, I copied the text into a new document as suggested, that allowed me
to create a TOC, I copied just the TOC back to the original document and it
nows appears to work. Very strange. But many thanks

JulieG

"JulieG" wrote:

I have an odd problem, I have been given a document that has used heading
styles, but when we come to update the TOC, nothing updates and I can't see
why. The first time I tried it asked me if I wanted to overwrite the
existing, but what existing one, there isn't one that I can see.

Can anybody help
Thanks
JulieG

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome.

It seems as if the TOC was somehow damaged.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP