lms

Default How to not select whole line of text when clicking to right

In Word2000, clicking to the right of a line of text positioned the cursor
after the final character of the line. In Word2002 the whole line of text is
selected instead. How do I get Word2002 to behave in the same way as Word2000?

Several users have complained about this, but it is behavior that I have not
seen, either in Word 2002 or in Word 2003. When I click at the right end of
a line (in Normal or Print Layout view), the insertion point is positioned
at the end of the line. I wonder if having a right-to-left language enabled
would make the difference. Could this be a factor in your case?

"lms" wrote in message
In Word2000, clicking to the right of a line of text positioned the cursor
after the final character of the line. In Word2002 the whole line of text

is
selected instead. How do I get Word2002 to behave in the same way as

Word2000?

lms

English(UK) and German are the only languages enabled acording to XP Language
Settings.

However, if I do 'Reveal Formatting' against a 'Normal' style paragraph it
shows under Language:
(Complex) Arabic Saudi Arabia
English UK

When I try to modify the format of the Normal style I get a drop down to the
right of the Italic button that shows (all scripts), Latin and Complex.
Selecting Complex and then selecting Format, Language from the bottom left
hand corner of the Modify Style window does indeed show the Language as
Arabic Saudi Arabia. However, resetting this to English UK and saying OK has
no effect. It insists on remaing set to Arabic Saudi Arabia.

This setting looks like it is the one causing the problem but I don't know
how to get rid of it.

Any suggestions?

Les

"lms" wrote in message
In Word2000, clicking to the right of a line of text positioned the cursor
after the final character of the line. In Word2002 the whole line of text

is
selected instead. How do I get Word2002 to behave in the same way as

Word2000?

Try starting Word with the /a switch (i.e., type "winword /a" at the Start |
Run command line) or pressing Ctrl while starting to start in Office Safe
Mode. If this eliminates the problem, then try renaming Normal.dot (after
quitting Word). If that solves the problem, then you can salvage most of
your customizations from the old Normal.dot using the Organizer. For more,
see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Several users have complained about this, but it is behavior that I have

not
seen, either in Word 2002 or in Word 2003. When I click at the right end

of
a line (in Normal or Print Layout view), the insertion point is

positioned
at the end of the line. I wonder if having a right-to-left language

enabled
would make the difference. Could this be a factor in your case?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"lms" wrote in message
In Word2000, clicking to the right of a line of text positioned the

cursor
after the final character of the line. In Word2002 the whole line of

text
is
selected instead. How do I get Word2002 to behave in the same way as

Word2000?

lms

winword /a made no difference but Safe Mode did the trick.
Safe Mode also automatically gave me a fresh Normal.dot file so I didn't
need to do a rename.

Many thanks
Les

"lms" wrote in message
In Word2000, clicking to the right of a line of text positioned the

cursor
after the final character of the line. In Word2002 the whole line of

text
is
selected instead. How do I get Word2002 to behave in the same way as
Word2000?

It gives you a new Normal.dot only for that session, however. You'll still
need to rename if you want to start normally, and starting in Safe Mode
prevents you from taking advantage of customizations such as AutoText
entries you've saved and customization of toolbars.