Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Craig Ward

Default Can I insert another table of contents but just for appendices?

Is it possible to insert a second TOC within a document but just for
appendices? Whenever I try I always get the whole TOC not just the sections
after the insertion point.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Can I insert another table of contents but just for appendices?

Yes, it is possible to insert a second table of contents within a document but just for appendices. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Place your cursor where you want to insert the second table of contents (TOC) for the appendices.
  2. Click on the "References" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on "Table of Contents" in the "Table of Contents" group.
  4. Select "Custom Table of Contents" at the bottom of the drop-down menu.
  5. In the "Table of Contents" dialog box, click on the "Options" button.
  6. In the "Table of Contents Options" dialog box, under "Available styles," select the "Appendices" style.
  7. Click on the "OK" button to close the "Table of Contents Options" dialog box.
  8. In the "Table of Contents" dialog box, click on the "OK" button to insert the second TOC for the appendices.

This should create a second table of contents that only includes the sections with the "Appendices" style applied to them. If you add or remove appendices, you can update the TOC by right-clicking on it and selecting "Update Field."
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Belinda Esterhuyse

Hi Craig,

I am working in 2000 and yes you can insert a 2nd TOC. Menu path
Insert/Insert/Index and Tables/Table of contents tab/Options/Select or
deselect options/Word will prompt you and ask if you want to replace TOC. Say
no. It will insert 2nd Toc.

Cheers Belinda Esterhuyse

"Craig Ward" wrote:

Is it possible to insert a second TOC within a document but just for
appendices? Whenever I try I always get the whole TOC not just the sections
after the insertion point.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Craig Ward

Yep, that works, but I want the 2nd TOC to only display the headers from the
insertion point onwards. To summarise: I've a TOC at the start of the
document, and now I want a 2nd TOC on the first page of the appendix, which
lists the appendix headers.

"Craig Ward" wrote:

Is it possible to insert a second TOC within a document but just for
appendices? Whenever I try I always get the whole TOC not just the sections
after the insertion point.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have used a different style for the appendix headings, you can create
a TOC based on just that style. If the style used for headings is the same
as that used in the rest of the document, then you'll need to create a TOC
based on a bookmark. See the section "A partial table of contents" in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCSwitches.htm

"Craig Ward" wrote:

Is it possible to insert a second TOC within a document but just for
appendices? Whenever I try I always get the whole TOC not just the

sections
after the insertion point.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Q3JhaWcgV2FyZA==?=,

Yep, that works, but I want the 2nd TOC to only display the headers from the
insertion point onwards. To summarise: I've a TOC at the start of the
document, and now I want a 2nd TOC on the first page of the appendix, which
lists the appendix headers.

You have two basic approaches you to choose from

1. Bookmark the entire appendix (select, then Insert/Bookmark), then build the
TOC on the bookmark (see the Word Help for TOC field for information on the
available switches that can set this)

2. Format the headings of the Appendix using a different set of styles, then
set up the second TOC to use these styles. This can be set in the "Options"
section of Insert/References/Indexes and Tables/Table of Contents

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)