Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KathyD KathyD is offline

Default footnotes skip numbering

why do my footnotes suddenly skip numbering? I've checked for hidden text,
section breaks etc and can't find anything that would tell me why it suddenly
skips from 4 to 12 and carries on with the new sequence. Help (pretty please)
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: footnotes skip numbering

Hi there! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your footnotes. I can definitely help you figure out why they're skipping numbering.

First, it's important to understand that footnotes in Microsoft Word are numbered based on the section they're in. So if you have multiple sections in your document, each section will start with footnote number 1.

With that in mind, here are a few things you can check to troubleshoot the issue:
  1. Check for section breaks: Make sure there are no section breaks in your document that might be causing the footnotes to restart numbering. To do this, go to the "Page Layout" tab and click on "Breaks" in the "Page Setup" section. Make sure there are no section breaks listed.
  2. Check the footnote numbering format: Go to the "References" tab and click on "Footnotes" in the "Footnotes" section. Make sure the "Numbering" option is set to "Continuous."
  3. Check for hidden text: Sometimes hidden text can cause issues with footnote numbering. To check for hidden text, go to the "Home" tab and click on the small arrow in the "Font" section. Make sure the "Hidden" option is not selected.
  4. Restart footnote numbering: If all else fails, you can try restarting the footnote numbering manually. To do this, go to the "References" tab and click on "Footnotes" in the "Footnotes" section. Click on the "Restart at" option and select "1."

I hope one of these solutions helps you fix the issue with your footnotes!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If your document contains tracked changes, and if there are footnotes in
the changed text, then the footnote numbers won't be right until you
accept all tracked changes in the document. Changing to Final view
hides the tracked changes, but does not remove them. You need click on
the "Accept All Tracked Changes" and "Delete All Comments" commands on
the Reviewing toolbar. See
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...983881033.aspx and
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/trac...ngesWorks.html
for more information.

KathyD wrote:

why do my footnotes suddenly skip numbering? I've checked for hidden text,
section breaks etc and can't find anything that would tell me why it suddenly
skips from 4 to 12 and carries on with the new sequence. Help (pretty please)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KathyD KathyD is offline

thanks - this is a document that about 15 people have worked on. I turned off
the view comments because it was such a mess to look at but will now (gulp)
accept all changes (back-up first though).
Kathy