John A

Default Recover overwritten Word doc

Assistance please. A friend has overwritten a word doument, and lost a lot of
data and 1 month's work!
Any good, ideally free recovery utilities out there?
Cheers
John

Amedee Van Gasse

Jezebel shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.docmanagement:

It's called a hammer. You incise the phrase 'I will make backups' in
mirror writing in the face of it, and hit your friend repeatedly with
it.

LOL
Unfortunately, Jezebel is absolutely right.
Only specialized companies can recover it. Think plenty money. Or an
FBI crime lab.

PS@Jezebel: You should look up "lart" in The Jargon File. It'll give
you some suggestions for better tools than a hammer. And a good laugh.

--
Amedee Van Gasse
John A

Could I only have helpful responses please?
Yes, we all know about regular backups, but s**t happens. My friend has lost
a large portion of a Master's dissertation, and is extremely stressed as a
result.
I'll look into the .wbk option. If it is there, what next?
Thanks
John

"John A" John wrote in message
Assistance please. A friend has overwritten a word doument, and lost a lot
of
data and 1 month's work!
Any good, ideally free recovery utilities out there?
Cheers
John

Andy

I use a small application called RESTORATION. I got it from a mate at work.
Dont know if its any good to you but if you want I could mail it to you. Its
only about 500k. Feel free to virus check it, to be on the safe side.