Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Fiona Reeve

Default Paragraph overruns page margins in book layout

While converting a document from A4 mirror layout to SRA3 book layout, I
notice that standard paragraphs change to overun the right margins throughout
the document.

When I go to Print Preview I can see that the right margin marker is in
the correct position but that the standard paragraphs seem to be ignoring
this.

This problem does not occur with text boxes, tables or 2 column text - these
are correctly aligned within the 15.75cm margins.

The only way I can fix this problem is to go into Print Preview and
readjust the right page margin to "refresh" the document layout. Or change
the overrunning paragraphs into one column layouts, which immediately
corrects the problem.

However, this is unwieldly for long documents. Is this a known MS Word
glitch or does it have something to do with the Book Layout setting?

Alternatively, is it possible to setup the Normal paragraph style as one
column text?

Many thanks. Fiona

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

To clarify, by "SRA3 book layout" are you referring to something in Word
("Book fold") or a printer Properties setting or a template of some sort
(perhaps provided by an add-in) or what?

"Fiona Reeve" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Fiona

Hi Suzanne,

SRA3 (450mmx320mm) is an oversized A3 paper which allows the design to bleed
over the A3 margins into the extra space. When the SRA3 paper is cropped down
to A3 size, the design features edge-to-edge printing. Hope that makes sense!

I have installed a specific print driver (XeroxDocuColor) which recognises
the SRA3 paper size. I have chosen SRA3 in MS Word's Page Setup and changed
the margins for book layout accordingly.

It all works fine except for the standard paragraphs running over the edge
of the right margin - even though the right margin marker is correctly
positioned.

It is correctable via the page margins tab or the one-column method - but
I'm wondering if this is a recognised glitch or if there is another solution?

Many thanks. Fiona

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

And I assume you're allowing for larger margins to compensate for the larger
page size?

"Fiona" wrote in message
Yes, sorry I meant "book fold".

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

To clarify, by "SRA3 book layout" are you referring to something in

Word
("Book fold") or a printer Properties setting or a template of some

sort
(perhaps provided by an add-in) or what?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Fiona

Yes, my A4 mirror margins are
top; 5cm
bottom: 2.5cm
inside: 2.8cm
outside: 2.5cm

My SRA3 bookfold margins are
top: 6.15cm
bottom: 3.65 cm
inside: 4.0cm
outside: 2.8cm

Many thanks. Fiona

PS I accidentally pressed that your previous post has answered my question -
but it hasn't just yet. Any way, the thread can still be left open and you
can still help??

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

And I assume you're allowing for larger margins to compensate for the larger
page size?

"Fiona" wrote in message
Yes, sorry I meant "book fold".

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Contrary to (apparently) popular belief, there is no way to "close" a thread
in Usenet.

I am, however, at a loss to explain your problem. It might help if I could
see the document, but without the same printer driver I doubt that I could
see what you are seeing. I can't help feeling, however, that there is some
problem with either the margins or the paragraph formatting. The best advice
I can offer on troubleshooting is contained in my article at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/RevealCodes.htm. Displaying document
boundaries, Reveal Formatting, and the like may help you sort this out.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

And I assume you're allowing for larger margins to compensate for the

larger
page size?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Fiona" wrote in message
Yes, sorry I meant "book fold".

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Fiona

Dear Suzanne,

Thanks for your tips. I tried all of these but to no avail.

It's possible that there's a problem with my margin dimensions in the SRA3
format - but because the right-margin marker is in the correct position in
the ruler, I think it might be an error with the print driver rather than my
document?

Everything seems to correct itself when the margins are "refreshed"
(dragging the right margin ever so slightly to the right. Then dragging back
again) in the SRA3 Print Preview mode.

I could send you a screengrab if you're interested. If it's a print driver
problem, then there's probably nothing I can do - it's just a glitch. Do you
think there's any chance it could be a MS Word error?

Many thansk. Fiona

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

And I assume you're allowing for larger margins to compensate for the

larger
page size?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Fiona" wrote in message
Yes, sorry I meant "book fold".

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

It does seem more likely to be a printer driver problem, but I would never
dare to eliminate the possibility of its being a glitch in Word.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

And I assume you're allowing for larger margins to compensate for

the
larger
page size?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Fiona" wrote in message
Yes, sorry I meant "book fold".

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

To clarify, by "SRA3 book layout" are you referring to

something
in
Word
("Book fold") or a printer Properties setting or a template of

some
sort
(perhaps provided by an add-in) or what?

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Fiona Reeve" wrote in