Top Spin

Default En-dash and Em-dash without numeric keypad?

On my desktop, which has a full keyboard, I can get an en-dash or
em-dash using the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+Num- and Alt+Ctrl+Num-.

The keyboard on my laptop does not have a numeric keypad. Is there a
keyboard shortcut I can use to get these characters? I tried NumLock
without success.

I would prefer not to define a new shortcut. I guess I am really
asking if there is a way to simulate the minus sign on the numeric
keypad without a numeric keypad.

Thanks

--
Running Word 2K SP-3 (9.0.6926)
PC: HP Omnibook 6000
Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)
Graham Mayor

Does your laptop not simulate the numeric keypad using the Fn key in
combination with other keys?

Top Spin wrote:
On my desktop, which has a full keyboard, I can get an en-dash or
em-dash using the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+Num- and Alt+Ctrl+Num-.

The keyboard on my laptop does not have a numeric keypad. Is there a
keyboard shortcut I can use to get these characters? I tried NumLock
without success.

I would prefer not to define a new shortcut. I guess I am really
asking if there is a way to simulate the minus sign on the numeric
keypad without a numeric keypad.

Thanks

I also don't have access to the numeric keypad, but I had assigned my own
keyboard shortcuts to these characters long before Word had them built in,
so I continue to use those. I use Ctrl+M and Ctrl+Shift+N for em and en
dashes, Ctrl+Alt+M and Ctrl+Alt+N for em and en spaces. I would have
assigned Ctrl+Shift+M to an em dash (thereby not usurping the Indent
command), but at the time the shortcut was unavailable because it was
assigned to Mute in AfterDark (a long-ago screen saver app). I've gotten
used to the shortcuts, so I haven't changed it even though I now could.

My point is that you can assign whatever shortcuts make sense to you. Go to
Insert | Symbol, select the em or en dash, click on Shortcut Key..., press
whatever combination you want to use, and click Assign.

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/03/04)

TF

You can use Insert, Symbol dialog to assign new shortcuts for the em and en
dashes.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

:
: The keyboard on my laptop does not have a numeric keypad. Is there a
: keyboard shortcut I can use to get these characters? I tried NumLock
: without success.
:
: I would prefer not to define a new shortcut. I guess I am really
: asking if there is a way to simulate the minus sign on the numeric
: keypad without a numeric keypad.
:
: Thanks
: