Cath

Default numbering in text box

I have two different unlinked Text boxes in my document. I have a numbered
list in the First text box, and I want a separate numbered list in the second
text box. When I put the Numberd list in the second text box it continues
the numbering from the first text box and when I go into the format- bullets
and numbering, the restart numbering is grayed out- so I cannot select it.
Why can't I do this?
gap

Click on Format, Bullets and Numbering, then click on the Numbered Tab and
choose the numbering system you want to use. Click Customize and under Start
At change the number to 1 or whatever the number you want to use next. At
this point you can also make other customized settings. Click OK, Ok.

Hope this works for you.

"Cath" wrote:

I have two different unlinked Text boxes in my document. I have a numbered
list in the First text box, and I want a separate numbered list in the second
text box. When I put the Numberd list in the second text box it continues
the numbering from the first text box and when I go into the format- bullets
and numbering, the restart numbering is grayed out- so I cannot select it.
Why can't I do this?

Greg

Cath,

I am sure Gap's advice was well intended, but don't heed it. Most
experienced users will tell you to avoid the FormatBullets and Numbering
command.

Numbering in Word is ... well a challenge. You can get a good start
resolving your issue he

http://www.syntagma.demon.co.uk/FAQs...artMethods.htm

In your case the simplest solution may be to use the built in LISTNUM as
your numbering style (FORMATStyleListNum), and force restart numbering in
the second textbox by placing the following field code immediately afer the
last bit of text in the first text box:

{LISTNUM \s 0 }. You will see a 0. appear. Now select this and either
format it white or better yet (IMHO) format it as hidden text. Since you
have just forced the listnum to reset to zero the numbering in the second box
will start with 1.