Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
imsite imsite is offline

Default Creating new templates

Hi,

Is my understanding that all the newly created templates are based on
Normal.dot correct? If so, is it possible to break this convention .. in
other words, is creating a new template totally independent of Normal.dot
possible at all? Thanks for the ideas.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You can use any template or document as a starting point for a custom
template. You can't get rid of the built-in styles, though, if that is
what you are asking. But the settings of the template won't be tied to
normal.dot.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"imsite" wrote in message
Hi,

Is my understanding that all the newly created templates are based

on
Normal.dot correct? If so, is it possible to break this convention

... in
other words, is creating a new template totally independent of

Normal.dot
possible at all? Thanks for the ideas.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
imsite imsite is offline

Thanks for the response, Stefan! Well, whether one can override the built-in
styles is what I actually wanted to figure out ...

"imsite" wrote in message
Hi,

Is my understanding that all the newly created templates are based

on
Normal.dot correct? If so, is it possible to break this convention

... in
other words, is creating a new template totally independent of

Normal.dot
possible at all? Thanks for the ideas.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The built-in styles use the formatting specified in the document (or
the attached template if you haven't modified the styles in the
document).

For more on templates and styles, see the following articles:

Creating a Template – The Basics (Part I)
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...platePart1.htm

Creating a Template (Part II)
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...platePart2.htm

What is the relationship between a Microsoft Word document and its
template?
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/temp...ons/index.html

What happens when I send my document to someone else? Will Word mess
up my formatting?
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/shar...matChange.html

--
Stefan Blom