Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chicago484 Chicago484 is offline

Default Scroll bar and text select does not work

I have a user who cannot select text or use the scroll bar in Word 2002. He
can select menus. It works fine in safe mode or in other programs. It also
works using shift with the arrow keys. I have reinstalled, recreated
normal.dot and deleted the word data registry entry. The problem occurs
whether I use the laptop mouse or an external mouse. This is the second user
with the same problem. Both have IBM Thinkpads. Doubt any of you can solve
this one.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The magic words are "it works in safe mode". That means the problem is
caused by an add-in, a damaged normal.dot template, or a damaged
registry entry. Since you've already replaced normal.dot and the Data
registry entry, that leaves an add-in as the likely cause.

Read
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...sInstalled.htm
and http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...514521033.aspx
for all the things you need to track down.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 15:04:00 -0700, Chicago484
wrote:

I have a user who cannot select text or use the scroll bar in Word 2002. He
can select menus. It works fine in safe mode or in other programs. It also
works using shift with the arrow keys. I have reinstalled, recreated
normal.dot and deleted the word data registry entry. The problem occurs
whether I use the laptop mouse or an external mouse. This is the second user
with the same problem. Both have IBM Thinkpads. Doubt any of you can solve
this one.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chicago484 Chicago484 is offline

Jay,

Thanks for the idea. I found pdfmaker.dot in the startup folder, deleted it
and normal.dot (Again) and restarted. Still have the same issue.

wrote:

I have a user who cannot select text or use the scroll bar in Word 2002. He
can select menus. It works fine in safe mode or in other programs. It also
works using shift with the arrow keys. I have reinstalled, recreated
normal.dot and deleted the word data registry entry. The problem occurs
whether I use the laptop mouse or an external mouse. This is the second user
with the same problem. Both have IBM Thinkpads. Doubt any of you can solve
this one.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then work through
the tips at http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

wrote:

I have a user who cannot select text or use the scroll bar in Word
2002. He can select menus. It works fine in safe mode or in other
programs. It also works using shift with the arrow keys. I have
reinstalled, recreated normal.dot and deleted the word data
registry entry. The problem occurs whether I use the laptop mouse
or an external mouse. This is the second user with the same
problem. Both have IBM Thinkpads. Doubt any of you can solve this
one.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chicago484 Chicago484 is offline

Thanks Graham, but the tips didn't work. The mouse buttons in general do not
seem to work in Word unless you click on the menus. The scroll wheel does
work on the external mouse. The problem is with Word since Excel and other
programs are fine. It also has to be with files that remain during an
installation. It has been a while since I reinstalled, but I believe I used
Eraser to remove all office files. Strange thing is...you can select text
using the keyboard. I also tried changing the hardware accelerator without
luck.

wrote:

I have a user who cannot select text or use the scroll bar in Word
2002. He can select menus. It works fine in safe mode or in other
programs. It also works using shift with the arrow keys. I have
reinstalled, recreated normal.dot and deleted the word data
registry entry. The problem occurs whether I use the laptop mouse
or an external mouse. This is the second user with the same
problem. Both have IBM Thinkpads. Doubt any of you can solve this
one.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If as you already indicated it works in Word's safe mode, then the problem
is *not* with Word but with its associated user setup and third party
applications that integrate with Word. See Jay's reply.

wrote:

I have a user who cannot select text or use the scroll bar in Word
2002. He can select menus. It works fine in safe mode or in
other programs. It also works using shift with the arrow keys.
I have reinstalled, recreated normal.dot and deleted the word data
registry entry. The problem occurs whether I use the laptop mouse
or an external mouse. This is the second user with the same
problem. Both have IBM Thinkpads. Doubt any of you can solve
this one.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chicago484 Chicago484 is offline

Already tried Jay's solution, reinstalled and removed third party add-ins and
registry items. I meant that the problem seems like it would happen in all
programs, but only happens it Word. Is there a way to strip Word down to its
safe mode level so they do not have to start in safe mode every time?

wrote:

I have a user who cannot select text or use the scroll bar in Word
2002. He can select menus. It works fine in safe mode or in
other programs. It also works using shift with the arrow keys.
I have reinstalled, recreated normal.dot and deleted the word data
registry entry. The problem occurs whether I use the laptop mouse
or an external mouse. This is the second user with the same
problem. Both have IBM Thinkpads. Doubt any of you can solve
this one.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
S Thomas S Thomas is offline

I haven't read the suggestions on the links given to you, but I can tell you
something we have run across on some of our machines. One thing you didn't
mention was whether you are trying this under just one login or multiple
usernames on the machine.
When I have come across a quirky problem like that where I have tried just
about everything under the sun, as you have, and nothing corrects the
problem, I have found that it was the user profile on the PC. I have renamed
the user profile or moved it to the Temp folder and then logged in and
started the user's profile from scratch and rebuilt it. Tested it and no
more problems. Then I was able to pull in data from the old profile before
deleting it. Just something else to try.
--
S Thomas