Default Drop-down menu protection

I know that to enable the drop down menus to work,the document must be
protected. This is not a problem. However, I use documents that require
taht I unlock (unprotect) the document from time to time. When I do this,
the drop down menu fields revert to the default.

I had a similar problem with my text form fields, but was able to "protect"
them while the document is unlocked by clicking on the field, and then
pressing Control+F10. However, this fix does not seem to work with the drop
down menu field. Any suggestions with how I can get around this dilemna?

Additionally, our document management system does not allow for macros to be
used with our document templates, so the idea of running a macro to
accomplish this is totally out of the question.