Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Siuan Siuan is offline

Default need help removing hard returns from a document imported from .txt

I'm using Word 2007 and have imported a large document (520 pages) from a
text file so every line is formatted with a hard return instead of wrap
around text.

Example:
I'm using Word 2007 and
have imported a large
document (520 pages) from
a text file so every line
is formatted with a hard
return.

Is there any way that I can remove these without doing it manually. I've
been trying to do that but the constant readjustments in such a large
document is causing Word to crash about every half page or so. Leaving the
returns in place is not an option.

Thanks for your time and concideration.
--
Siuan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

See:

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Clean_Up_Text.htm

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Siuan wrote:
I'm using Word 2007 and have imported a large document (520 pages)
from a text file so every line is formatted with a hard return
instead of wrap around text.

Example:
I'm using Word 2007 and
have imported a large
document (520 pages) from
a text file so every line
is formatted with a hard
return.

Is there any way that I can remove these without doing it manually.
I've been trying to do that but the constant readjustments in such a
large document is causing Word to crash about every half page or so.
Leaving the returns in place is not an option.

Thanks for your time and concideration.SE

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Siuan Siuan is offline

Default need help removing hard returns from a document imported from

Either I'm doing something wrong or this Add-In doesn't work with Word 2007.
I placed the extracted folder into the folder where Word wanted to look.

C:\Documents and Settings\Me\Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns

But Word 2007 didn't seem to recognize it.

--
Siuan

Siuan wrote:
I'm using Word 2007 and have imported a large document (520 pages)
from a text file so every line is formatted with a hard return
instead of wrap around text.

Example:
I'm using Word 2007 and
have imported a large
document (520 pages) from
a text file so every line
is formatted with a hard
return.

Is there any way that I can remove these without doing it manually.
I've been trying to do that but the constant readjustments in such a
large document is causing Word to crash about every half page or so.
Leaving the returns in place is not an option.

Thanks for your time and concideration.SE

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

That was odd. I had an earlier version that loaded just fine. I removed
the toolbar and replaced it with a new one and now this version seems to be
working fine in Word2007.

Try downloading and installing again.

--

Siuan wrote:
I'm using Word 2007 and have imported a large document (520 pages)
from a text file so every line is formatted with a hard return
instead of wrap around text.

Example:
I'm using Word 2007 and
have imported a large
document (520 pages) from
a text file so every line
is formatted with a hard
return.

Is there any way that I can remove these without doing it manually.
I've been trying to do that but the constant readjustments in such a
large document is causing Word to crash about every half page or so.
Leaving the returns in place is not an option.

Thanks for your time and concideration.SE

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Yes it works in 2000 and 2003. I don't know why the earlier toolbar would
not display in Word 2007, but the file now on my website will work in Word
2007. I put the add-in together and maintain it on my website.

--

Siuan wrote:
I'm using Word 2007 and have imported a large document (520 pages)
from a text file so every line is formatted with a hard return
instead of wrap around text.

Example:
I'm using Word 2007 and
have imported a large
document (520 pages) from
a text file so every line
is formatted with a hard
return.

Is there any way that I can remove these without doing it manually.
I've been trying to do that but the constant readjustments in such a
large document is causing Word to crash about every half page or so.
Leaving the returns in place is not an option.

Thanks for your time and concideration.SE

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Siuan Siuan is offline

Well something happened this time but I'm not sure exactly what.

Actually everything happened as before and the file didn't register with
Word 2007. Then on a whim I double clicked the file itself and a new word
document opened and proceeded to check itself. Exactly how do I get this to
work on me document.

Concider me a VERY raw user. I use to be very good at this but after a
stroke the simplest things are like Greek and the oddest things make total
sense.

I truly appreciate the help.
--
Siuan

Siuan wrote:
I'm using Word 2007 and have imported a large document (520 pages)
from a text file so every line is formatted with a hard return
instead of wrap around text.

Example:
I'm using Word 2007 and
have imported a large
document (520 pages) from
a text file so every line
is formatted with a hard
return.

Is there any way that I can remove these without doing it manually.
I've been trying to do that but the constant readjustments in such a
large document is causing Word to crash about every half page or so.
Leaving the returns in place is not an option.

Thanks for your time and concideration.SE

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

It works for me.

Click teh big round "File" icon in the top left corner. Click Word
OptionsPersonalize. Ensure "Show Developer Tab on Ribbon" is checked.

For now just put the file Clean Up Text.Dot on your desktop. Click teh
Developer tab and then select Document Template. On the Templates and
Addins Tab select "Add" then navigate to and add the Clean Up Text.Dot.

Click the Add-In Tab on the Ribbon and in the Custom Toolbars pane you
should see Display Cleaner Panel.

If that doesn't work then you may need to look at your macro security setup.

--

Siuan wrote:
I'm using Word 2007 and have imported a large document (520 pages)
from a text file so every line is formatted with a hard return
instead of wrap around text.

Example:
I'm using Word 2007 and
have imported a large
document (520 pages) from
a text file so every line
is formatted with a hard
return.

Is there any way that I can remove these without doing it manually.
I've been trying to do that but the constant readjustments in such
a large document is causing Word to crash about every half page or
so. Leaving the returns in place is not an option.

Thanks for your time and concideration.SE

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Siuan" wrote

Concider me a VERY raw user. I use to be very good at this but after a
stroke the simplest things are like Greek and the oddest things make total
sense.

Siaun

Not the answer to your question but a word of encouragement. I was suddenly
struck down in 2002 with a rare complaint called CPM, which among other
things has stroke-like results. This included the same lack of cognitive
power that you are troubled about -- only in spades. At first I couldn't do
or remember or understand the simplest things (even reading my digital
watch!), and I used to have a very sharp brain. But improvement came day by
day. Now four years later I'm back to normal except in odd spots. So don't
be discouraged. You'll get there.

Sorry all about this diversion but I thought it necessary.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Siuan Siuan is offline

Success...Well...In a manner of speaking anyway.

Anyway...much better to but in a few hundred proper formatting codes than
taking out mega thousands. LOL

Thanks for all you help
--
Siuan

" wrote:

"Siuan" wrote

Concider me a VERY raw user. I use to be very good at this but after a
stroke the simplest things are like Greek and the oddest things make total
sense.

Siaun

Not the answer to your question but a word of encouragement. I was suddenly
struck down in 2002 with a rare complaint called CPM, which among other
things has stroke-like results. This included the same lack of cognitive
power that you are troubled about -- only in spades. At first I couldn't do
or remember or understand the simplest things (even reading my digital
watch!), and I used to have a very sharp brain. But improvement came day by
day. Now four years later I'm back to normal except in odd spots. So don't
be discouraged. You'll get there.

Sorry all about this diversion but I thought it necessary.

How do I save my document on a hard copy [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 2 May 20th 05 09:41 PM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM
Can I delete all hard returns in a document? auds Microsoft Word Help 1 April 19th 05 07:11 PM
How do I remove hard returns from text imported into Word? sjbcivil Page Layout 2 March 31st 05 01:45 PM
Remove hard carriage returns Rusty Microsoft Word Help 4 March 1st 05 08:10 PM