Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MichelleW MichelleW is offline

Default Conditional Text

Does any one have a workaround for the lack of conditional text functionality
in Word?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you'll describe what you mean, we can probably tell you how to achieve
it.

"MichelleW" wrote in message
Does any one have a workaround for the lack of conditional text
functionality
in Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BPB BPB is offline

The ability to "tag" certain lines or blocks of text and tables throughout a
document, so that they will display and print with the rest of the doc when
you turn them "on" (for example, for Version A), and so that they will not
display or print with the rest of the doc when you turn them "off" (for
example, for Version B).
Is there a way to do this in Word?
Thanks!

"MichelleW" wrote in message
Does any one have a workaround for the lack of conditional text
functionality
in Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can format the text as "Hidden" and then toggle the "Hidden text" check
box on the Print tab of Tools | Options. But also see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Toggle_Data_Display.htm

http://word.mvps.org

"MichelleW" wrote in message
Does any one have a workaround for the lack of conditional text
functionality
in Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Formatting text as hidden: Select the text, right-click it, click Font, and
check the box for "Hidden"; or use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+H.

Toggle the "Hidden text" check box: Go to Office button Word Options
Display. The box is in the middle of the group labeled "Always show these
formatting marks on the screen".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"MichelleW" wrote in message
Does any one have a workaround for the lack of conditional text
functionality
in Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BPB BPB is offline

Thanks, Jay, that works well to hide text.
However, my documents are loaded with numbered headings, which must also be
hidden -- and Word doesn't adjust the remaining numbered headings
accordingly. For example, in a doc with three sections (with the auto-numbers
1, 2, and 3 displayed in the heading name), I can hide section 2, but the
headings for the remaining two sections display as 1 and 3. This is the case
in the body of the doc and in the re-generated TOC.
Is there any way to get Word to compensate for this, like "that other
product" does so well? I suspect there are other users who need this feature
also.
Thanks again!

"MichelleW" wrote in message
Does any one have a workaround for the lack of conditional text
functionality
in Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but I think the only way to get the numbering
to adjust is to actually remove the unwanted headings from the document, print,
and then undo. A macro could do that; trying to do it manually would be tedious
and error-prone.

"MichelleW" wrote in message
Does any one have a workaround for the lack of conditional text
functionality
in Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BPB BPB is offline