Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JC

Default Reduce the enabled features in word

Over the years Word has become too hard to use. Most of us are average
users, not experts. There are too many combinations of keys, which when
accidentally struck, cause something to happen. It is sooooo frustrating
to have features one did not know existed to turn on and change something.
Sometimes hours of work are lost over this.

Most people I know hate automatic bullets and numbering, hate the paperclip,
and don't know how to set the margins with that toolbar that looks lik the
marging thing on an old IBM Selectric. Recently the way my delete key works
in Word changed. I blown a ton of time and can't fix it. All I want to
do is type letters and respond to e-mail. During this suggestion I hit some
key that caused the cursor to jump up and start overwriting what I jast
typed. It is maddening!

Can you please, please, (I'm Begging here) have a setting that turns off all
this stuff? I envision many programmers, all looking for features to add.
They have the goal that word should do everything. Unfortunately they are
unaware of the difficulties they are introducing for most of us!

Thank you!

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Inline.

"JC" wrote in message
Over the years Word has become too hard to use. Most of us are average
users, not experts. There are too many combinations of keys, which when
accidentally struck, cause something to happen. It is sooooo

frustrating
to have features one did not know existed to turn on and change something.
Sometimes hours of work are lost over this.

Most people I know hate automatic bullets and numbering,

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TameAutoFormat.htm

hate the paperclip,

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...eAssistant.htm

See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/UsingRulers.htm

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...DeleteText.htm

I blown a ton of time and can't fix it. All I want to
do is type letters and respond to e-mail. During this suggestion I hit

some
key that caused the cursor to jump up and start overwriting what I jast
typed. It is maddening!

You have pressed the Insert key and toggled the action from Insert to
Overtype; press Insert again or double-click OVR on the Word status bar.

Can you please, please, (I'm Begging here) have a setting that turns off

all
this stuff? I envision many programmers, all looking for features to

add.
They have the goal that word should do everything. Unfortunately they

are
unaware of the difficulties they are introducing for most of us!

Thank you!

----------------

this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed

Whilst I do use many of the "power" features of Word, I do agree that for
some occasions - and some people! - there ought to be a "Remington" setting
that reduces Word to not much more than a spell-checking electronic
typewriter. Then again, that's pretty much WordPad, isn't it?

Ed

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Inline.

so
all may benefit.

"JC" wrote in message
[...]

suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
"I

this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 06:26 PM
Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM