Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

Default Easy way to generate circular labels?

I have a package of round labels (Avery 5294, 2.5" diameter).

I have created templates for rectangular labels using tables. Is there
a comparable way to create a table with round cells os that the text
will flow inside the 2.5" circles?

I have Word 2007.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Sesquipedalian Sam wrote:
I have a package of round labels (Avery 5294, 2.5" diameter).

I have created templates for rectangular labels using tables. Is there
a comparable way to create a table with round cells os that the text
will flow inside the 2.5" circles?

I have Word 2007.

No version of Word can flow text along any path except straight lines unless
you use WordArt. You can, of course, place a separate WordArt object into
each cell of a regular rectangular table.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 14:26:33 -0400, "Jay Freedman"
wrote:

Sesquipedalian Sam wrote:
I have a package of round labels (Avery 5294, 2.5" diameter).

I have created templates for rectangular labels using tables. Is there
a comparable way to create a table with round cells os that the text
will flow inside the 2.5" circles?

I have Word 2007.

No version of Word can flow text along any path except straight lines unless
you use WordArt. You can, of course, place a separate WordArt object into
each cell of a regular rectangular table.

I don't want to flow the text *around* the labels. I want it to *fill*
the labels. Each label is a circle. I want to be able to enter text
inside each circle and have it break so that the text prints only on
the labels.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

wrote:

Sesquipedalian Sam wrote:
I have a package of round labels (Avery 5294, 2.5" diameter).

I have created templates for rectangular labels using tables. Is
there a comparable way to create a table with round cells os that
the text will flow inside the 2.5" circles?

I have Word 2007.

No version of Word can flow text along any path except straight
lines unless you use WordArt. You can, of course, place a separate
WordArt object into each cell of a regular rectangular table.

I don't want to flow the text *around* the labels. I want it to *fill*
the labels. Each label is a circle. I want to be able to enter text
inside each circle and have it break so that the text prints only on
the labels.

You could insert a circle in each cell from the Drawing Toolbar, but that
still just gives you a rectangle inside the circle in which to type text.
That's what you'll get if you download Avery's "template" (actually a .doc,
not a .dot) from
http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Tem...002118140aRCRD.

If you want the outline of the text area to be circular, you have to fiddle
with placing crescent-shaped drawing objects on either side of the text and
setting them to tight wrapping -- you can see something similar with
triangles by downloading http://jay-freedman.info/triangle_text.doc. This
isn't what I'd call an "easy way".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Have you tried generating a page of Avery 5294 labels? Mailings ribbon
create group labels options; select the 5294 product number. Back in the
envelopes and labels dialog, click _new document_. You'll get a page of
empty labels ready for our input.

If you've already done this, what didn't work?

PamC

Sesquipedalian Sam wrote:
I have a package of round labels (Avery 5294, 2.5" diameter).

[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
you use WordArt. You can, of course, place a separate WordArt object into
each cell of a regular rectangular table.

I don't want to flow the text *around* the labels. I want it to *fill*
the labels. Each label is a circle. I want to be able to enter text
inside each circle and have it break so that the text prints only on
the labels.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The 5294 labels are described as round, but of course the table cells
generated are square (or so they seem). I would guess that by adjusting the
cell margins, the text could be kept inside the diameter--I picture the
typing area as a square circumscribed by a circle. But that's just a guess,
because I don't have the labels--which is why I asked what the problems
might were if the OP had already tried it.

Graham Mayor wrote:
That would give you a page of rectangular labels?

Have you tried generating a page of Avery 5294 labels? Mailings
ribbon create group labels options; select the 5294 product

[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]
enter text inside each circle and have it break so that the text
prints only on the labels.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

Graham Mayor wrote:
That would give you a page of rectangular labels?

Have you tried generating a page of Avery 5294 labels? Mailings
ribbon create group labels options; select the 5294 product

[quoted text clipped - 15 lines]
enter text inside each circle and have it break so that the text
prints only on the labels.

I tried to download that template. It caused IE, and then Word, to
hang. I had to force them. Happened twice. I've had lots of problems
with Avery templates in the past, so I usually roll my own.

My guess is that you are correct that they simply fit a square inside
the circle.

It looks like Word really can't do this task very well. I'll use a
graphics or DTP program until I get my label printer. ;-)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

It's already in Word. Mailings ribbon labels options. Choose product
number 5294 (described as high visibility round labels), then click OK. Back
in the envelopes and labels dialog, click New document. You'll get a Word
page set up in the template.

PamC

Sesquipedalian Sam wrote:
The 5294 labels are described as round, but of course the table cells
generated are square (or so they seem). I would guess that by adjusting the

[quoted text clipped - 10 lines]