Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bruce Bruce is offline

Default Speller "Add to Dictionary" Button is Grayed

I am not able to add words to my custom dictionary because the button for
doing so is grayed out. I have already followed the instructions in KB211188
and KB 321481. All of my settings were correct as suggested in these two
articles.

I am using Office 2007. The problem occurs in all office applications.
My dictionary is one that I have had for many years and have upgraded from
version to version. I only noticed this behavior when I recently upgraded to
Office 2007 from Office XP. I only have one custom dictionary in my custom
dictionary list. I am using WindowsXP SP2.

Thanks for any assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Try unchecking your custom dictionary (Word Options Proofing Custom
Dictionaries) and create a new one. If that works, copy the content of the
old one to the new one and set it as default (or better still, but more
laborious, open the old one in Word and spell check it and add the words to
your new dictionary.)

Bruce wrote:
I am not able to add words to my custom dictionary because the button
for doing so is grayed out. I have already followed the instructions
in KB211188 and KB 321481. All of my settings were correct as
suggested in these two articles.

I am using Office 2007. The problem occurs in all office applications.
My dictionary is one that I have had for many years and have upgraded
from version to version. I only noticed this behavior when I recently
upgraded to Office 2007 from Office XP. I only have one custom
dictionary in my custom dictionary list. I am using WindowsXP SP2.

Thanks for any assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bruce Bruce is offline

Thank you Graham. This did solve my problem. I also took the time to browse
through the dictionary to weed out some words. I have over 4000 entries and,
with the number of names, acronyms, tradenames, etc, this exercise became
somewhat of a trip down memory lane. Fun!

Thanks again,

Regards and happy holiday season,
-Bruce

Bruce wrote:
I am not able to add words to my custom dictionary because the button
for doing so is grayed out. I have already followed the instructions
in KB211188 and KB 321481. All of my settings were correct as
suggested in these two articles.

I am using Office 2007. The problem occurs in all office applications.
My dictionary is one that I have had for many years and have upgraded
from version to version. I only noticed this behavior when I recently
upgraded to Office 2007 from Office XP. I only have one custom
dictionary in my custom dictionary list. I am using WindowsXP SP2.

Thanks for any assistance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Note, however, that one common reason for that button being disabled is that
the language of the dictionary is set to something different from the
language applied to text. The Custom.dic should be set to All Languages.