Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
abs abs is offline

Default Form Question

Using Word 2003 SP3, Ive created a form. The first portion reads:

Case No.: (text form field)
Section/Location: (dropdown form field/drop down form field)
Case Title: (text form field)

That works just fine. What I would like to do is have the case number
repeat in the header of each of the subsequent pages. I bookmarked the text
field (called it CaseNo), clicked calculate on exit, and cross-referenced in
the header to the bookmark. It doesnt work. Out of curiosity I
cross-referenced further in the document (not in a header) and it works fine.
It just seems to be the cross-reference in the Header that doesnt play
nice. Is there any way around this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PJY PJY is offline

The only way I've ever gotten the result you're looking for in a header is to
use styles. Create a style for Case No:, then add a field to your header (if
you have more text in your header than just the Case No., you'll need to put
the field in a table). After to create a style for Case No:, insert a field
code (StyleRef) into the header that matches the style name you've given to
Case No. The Case No. will now automatically insert itself into your header
and will update if the number is changed.

Hope that helps!
"abs" wrote:

Using Word 2003 SP3, Ive created a form. The first portion reads:

Case No.: (text form field)
Section/Location: (dropdown form field/drop down form field)
Case Title: (text form field)

That works just fine. What I would like to do is have the case number
repeat in the header of each of the subsequent pages. I bookmarked the text
field (called it CaseNo), clicked calculate on exit, and cross-referenced in
the header to the bookmark. It doesnt work. Out of curiosity I
cross-referenced further in the document (not in a header) and it works fine.
It just seems to be the cross-reference in the Header that doesnt play
nice. Is there any way around this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
abs abs is offline

And I retain my "Queen of Word" status...thanks to you folks!!!!
Thank you, thank you!!!!!

"abs" wrote:

Using Word 2003 SP3, I've created a form. The first portion reads:

Case No.: (text form field)
Section/Location: (dropdown form field/drop down form field)
Case Title: (text form field)

That works just fine. What I would like to do is have the case number
repeat in the header of each of the subsequent pages. I bookmarked the
text
field (called it CaseNo), clicked calculate on exit, and cross-referenced
in
the header to the bookmark. It doesn't work. Out of curiosity I
cross-referenced further in the document (not in a header) and it works
fine.
It just seems to be the cross-reference in the Header that doesn't play
nice. Is there any way around this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In the country of blind men... (as all of us here well know). g

"abs" wrote:

[...]

Form set up question Kathleen Microsoft Word Help 4 June 2nd 08 07:51 PM
Form Question Stefan Blom Microsoft Word Help 0 April 1st 08 11:31 AM
form question ah Microsoft Word Help 3 October 10th 07 05:08 AM
Form Question Maddie Microsoft Word Help 1 February 25th 06 03:52 PM
Form Question tiyago Microsoft Word Help 2 December 2nd 05 05:15 PM